Paulista University School of Nursing, Brazil
Title: Immunization of school and school health program
Raquel Machado Cavalca Coutinho has completed his Ph.D. at the age of 41 years from Federal University of São Paulo, Brazil. She is the Director of Postgraduate and Undergraduate Nursing School and Member of the Research Group on Public Health of Paulista University. She has published more than 35 papers in reputed journals and serving as an Editorial Board Member of Journal Health of Science Institute and Member of the Editorial Board of the Brazilian Society of Nurses of Operating Room.
The research aimed to determine whether the registration of adolescents from public schools required the submission of portfolio immunization as a pre-requisite to identify if the assessment of vaccination status of adolescents occurs, verify the occurrence of the schools reporting outbreaks of diseases immune-preventable the last 5 years. The methodology is in an exploratory, non-experimental research, quantitative, cross conducted in 21 public schools in Campinas city west area, in 2012. Among the main results we have in four (19.04%) schools no requirement the vaccine portfolio at the time of registration and the remaining 17 (80.96%) do not. It was observed that among the four schools where the verification of the portfolios of vaccine occurred, only one (25%) had an outbreak of vaccine-preventable diseases, while the other three (75%) did not. Of 21 (100%) schools, three (14.28%) received vaccine, 7 (33.34%) shares received only educational activities on the subject, 9 (42.86%) never received vaccine and two actions (9.52%) received vaccine stocks in an outbreak situation. We conclude that the SchoolHealth Program recommends checking the portfolio immunization and vaccination status update of adolescent students. The results did not corroborate this guideline. We emphasize the importance of strengthening and interaction between health professionals and education enabling better control of the vaccination status of adolescents