Compound Anti-inflammatory of potency Na retaining potency Duration of action Equivalent dose
Cortisol 1 1 S 20
Cortisone 0.8 0.8 S 25
Dexamethasone 25 0 L 0.75
Prednisone 4 0.8 I 5
Prednisolone 4 0.8 I 5
Methyprednisolone 5 0.5 I 4
Triamcinolone 5 0 L 4
Betamethasone 25 0 L 0.75
Equivalent doses apply only to oral or intravenous preparations-S Short (8-12 Hrs), L- Long (36-72 Hrs), and I Intermediate (12-36 Hrs).Prednisone and prednisolone are potent glucocorticoids and weak mineralocorticoids. Methylprednisolone and dexamethasone have no mineralocorticoid effect. NOTE: Glucocorticoid doses which provide a mineralocorticoid effect that is approximately equivalent to 0.1 mg fludrocortisone are: prednisone or prednisolone 50 mg, or hydrocortisone 20 mg. Equivalent dose shown is for oral or IV administration. Relative potency for intra-articular or intramuscular administration may vary considerably. Data for cortisol, endogenous corticosteroid hormone, are included for comparison with synthetic preparations listed. Fludri cortisone is not used for an anti-inflammatory effect its minaralo corticoid activity is 125 and its antiinflamatory activity is 10. Prednisone itself is biologically inactive, but it is rapidly converted to the active form prednisolone. However, patients with severe liver disease may have difficulty converting prednisone to prednisolone; in such patients, it is possible that one might not get the same effect from prednisone as from prednisolone. In addition, certain drug interactions can affect the metabolism and bioavailability of prednisone. As an example, phenytoin, barbiturates or rifampin, attenuate the biological effects of glucocorticoids.
Table 1: Comparison of various corticosteroids.