Tapeworm infection is caused by ingesting food or water contaminated with tapeworm eggs or larvae. If you ingest certain tapeworm eggs, they can migrate outside your intestines and form larval cysts in body tissues and organs (invasive infection). If you ingest tapeworm larvae, however, they develop into adult tapeworms in your intestines.
In Australia, the most serious locally acquired form of tapeworm infestation is caused by the hydatid tapeworm (Echinococcus granulosis or E. granulosis), which can infect dogs and dingoes, particularly in sheep farming areas. Adult tapeworm infections are treated with anthelmintic medication which is kills parasitic worms and makes the worms pass out of your intestine in your stools.