Sleeping sickness, also called "human African trypanosomiasis", is a widespread tropical disease that can be fatal if not treated. It is spread by the bite of an infected tsetse fly (Glossina Genus), a species native to the African continent. Sixty million people who live mainly in rural parts of East, West and Central Africa are at risk of contracting sleeping sickness. Anxiety,Drowsiness during the dayFever Headache Insomnia at nightMood changes Sleepiness (may be uncontrollable)SweatinSwollen lymph nodes all over the bodySwollen, red, painful nodule at site of fly bite Weakness.
Treatment: Pentamidine injections protect against T. b. gambiense. But not against T. b. rhodesiense . Because this medicine is toxic, using it for prevention is not recommended.Insect control measures can help prevent the spread of sleeping sickness in high-risk areas.
Generally known as sleeping sickness, human African trypanosomiasis is a parasitic infection transmitted by tsetse ﬂies which occurs in sub-Saharan Africa. In its latter stage, it attacks the central nervous system, causing severe neurological disorders and death if left untreated. More than 95 per cent of reported cases are caused by the parasite Trypanosoma brucei gambiense, which is found in western and central Africa. The other 5 per cent of cases are caused by Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense, which is found in eastern and southern Africa. MSF admitted 330 patients for sleeping sickness treatment in 2014.