Toxic hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver caused by chemicals. Among these chemicals are drugs, industrial solvents and pollutants. The symptoms of toxic hepatitis are yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice), itching, and abdominal pain in the upper right portion of the abdomen, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, rash, weight loss. One of the roles of the liver involves metabolism of most drugs and chemicals from your bloodstream. Breaking down toxins creates byproducts that can damage the liver. Although the liver has a great capacity for regeneration, constant exposure to toxic substances can cause serious, sometimes irreversible harm.
In treating toxic hepatitis, exposure to the toxin must be stopped as soon as possible. Patients are advised to rest and may need supportive care in the hospital. Symptoms usually go away within a few days or weeks. In severe cases, or if the condition was untreated for a prolonged time, toxic hepatitis can lead to irreversible liver failure, a fatal condition requiring a liver transplant. Exposure to toxic substances can be prevented with proper use of protective clothing and gear. People who are at risk due to liver disease should check with their doctor for a list of medications to avoid.