Gerodontology and Periodontology
Gerodontology is that the study of the dentition and dental issues in older patients that involves the identification and treatment of dental injuries, diseases or defects. The physiological, pathologic and psychological changes in geriatric patients impact the dental treatment. Periodontology deals with the study of supporting structures of teeth and connected diseases. The periodontium includes the animal tissue, alveolar bone, solid body substance and periodontic ligament. The invention of the microorganism that plays a crucial role within the periodontic diseases and also the pathological process of disease may be an advanced and complex topic.
Gerodontology is the branch of dentistry which mainly deals with the various ailments regarding the teeth and the oral cavity. This branch has a wide scope in the field of dentistry because it deals with the complete pathology of the various injuries, diseases or defects within the oral cavity and tissues of the oral cavity. Periodontology is the study of the tooth supporting tissues mainly the structure named as periodontium. The structure and function of these periodontal tissues have been extensively researched.
- Oral disease burden faced by older adults
- Diabetes and periodontal disease
- Dementia and denture
- Geriatric pharmacology: principles and implications for oral health
- Caries, tooth loss and conventional tooth replacement for oral health
- Comorbidities that affect dental care for the older patient
- Mechanical plaque control
- Identification of periodontal pathogens
- Plaque induced gingival diseases