Toxic Hepatitis is an inflammatory disease of liver caused by exposure to certain chemicals, alcohol abuse and drugs. The inflammation resolves following removal of the toxin or discontinuation of alcohol. Long-term exposure causes irreversible scarring of liver tissue (cirrhosis) and in some cases to liver failure. The symptoms of toxic hepatitis are jaundice, itching, and abdominal, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, rash, weight loss. The numbers of acute cases of hepatitis have decreased during the past 15 years. Most cases of the disease go unreported as the symptoms tend to reduce once the exposure to toxin is stopped.
The first step in treating toxic hepatitis is to identify and eliminate the substance that is causing the problem. In the case of alcohol-related liver damage, enrolling in a treatment/rehabilitation program is highly recommended and may be required. Liver transplantationshould be considered for patients with life-threatening liver damage caused by a medication, herb or nutritional supplement. People who are at risk due to liver disease should check with their doctor for a list of medications to avoid. Appropriate work gear must be used to avoid exposure to toxic chemicals.