Dust mite allergy is very common and can trigger allergic reactions such as asthma, eczema and rhinitis. Cutting down mite numbers may reduce these reactions. House dust mites are creatures which are so small that they cannot be seen with the naked eye. They live in all our homes and feed mainly on the scales of skin that we shed. They are most common in warm, damp areas where dust containing skin scales gathers. These areas include pillows, mattresses, carpets, soft furnishings, soft toys and even clothing.
The symptoms mainly include:
• Runny nose
• Postnasal drip
• Sinus Pressure
• Scratchy throat
• Trouble sleeping
The process of minimizing an allergic persons exposure to dust mites is the best treatment and if doesn’t work then medications are used that helps to relieve the symptoms.
Drugs like anti-histamines,nasal corticosteroids, decongestants are used in the treatment. Control of dust mites helps to eradicate the disease.
The World Health Organisation has formally declared that the humble house dust mite is a universal health problem. Dust mite allergy is one of the most common conditions in Ireland. Studies estimate that more than 30% of people experience the condition at some point in their life. Some people only experience allergic rhinitis for a few weeks or months at a time because they are sensitive to allergens. Others experience the condition all year round, because they are sensitive to non-seasonal allergens, such as house dust mite.