Toxic hepatitis is an inflammation of liver in reaction to certain substances to which it is exposed. Toxic hepatitis can be caused by alcohol, chemicals, drugs or nutritional supplements. Mild forms of toxic hepatitis may not cause any symptoms and may be detected only by blood tests. Symptoms of toxic hepatitis include yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice), itching, abdominal pain in the upper right portion of the abdomen, fatigue.
Treatment includes avoiding exposure to the suspected toxin or chemical. If the liver damage was caused by an overdose of acetaminophen, acetylcysteine should be administered within 16 hours. But toxic hepatitis can permanently damage your liver, leading to irreversible scarring of liver tissue (cirrhosis) and in some cases to liver failure. Many researches are being done to develop newer drugs with fewer side-effects and cause minimal damage to the liver. Patients must notify the physician at the earliest if they notice any hepatitis symptoms.