Dust mites belong to the species of ticks and spiders. Dust mite allergy is an allergic reaction to tiny bugs that commonly live in house dust. Common signs of dust mite allergy include sneezing and runny nose. Many people with dust mite allergy also experience signs of asthma, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing. Dust mites eat skin cells people have shed, and rather than drinking water, they absorb water from humidity in the atmosphere. They thrive in temperatures between 65 and 84 F (18.5 and 29 C) and a relative humidity higher than 50%. House dust is easily trapped in the fibers of bed linens, furniture cushions and carpeting. These materials also hold moisture well. Consequently, bedrooms are ideal habitats for dust mites. Dust also contains the feces and decaying bodies of dust mites, and it's the proteins present in this dust mite "debris" that are the culprit in dust mite allergy.
Dust mite allergy symptoms caused by inflammation of nasal passages include: Sneezing, Runny nose, Itchy, red or watery eyes, Nasal congestion, Itchy nose, roof of mouth or throat, Postnasal drip, Cough, Facial pressure and pain, blue-colored skin under your eyes. Patients might also experience Difficulty breathing, Chest tightness or pain, wheezing sound when exhaling etc.
The first treatment for controlling dust mite allergy is avoiding dust mites as much as possible. When you minimize your exposure to dust mites, you should expect fewer allergic reactions or the reactions should be less severe. However, it's impossible to completely eliminate dust mites from your environment. You may also need medications to control symptoms. Antihistamines, Corticosteroids, Decongestants, Cromolyn sodium and Leukotriene modifiers etc are also used in treating dust mite allergy.