Toxic hepatitis occurs when liver develops inflammation because of exposure to a toxic substance. Toxic hepatitis may also develop when you take too much of a prescription or over-the-counter medication. Mild forms of toxic hepatitis may not cause any symptoms and may be detected only by blood tests. Symptoms of toxic hepatitis include jaundice, nausea and vomiting, rash, weight loss, dark or tea-colored urine. Drug induced liver injury has been reported to be a cause of liver failure in 13%-30% of hepatitis cases. For most drugs, the risk of liver injury is estimated to be 1-10 per 100,000 persons exposed.
Treatments for toxic hepatitis include stopping exposure to the toxin, medication to reverse liver damage caused by acetaminophen and liver transplant (in severe cases). People with severe symptoms are likely to receive supportive therapy in the hospital, including intravenous fluids and medication to relieve nausea and vomiting. Patients are informed take all necessary precautions to protect from exposure to harmful chemicals in workplace. Patients must notify the physician at the earliest if they notice any hepatitis symptoms after exposure.