Myelofibrosis is a serious bone marrow disorder that disrupts your body's normal production of blood cells. The result is extensive scarring in your bone marrow, leading to severe anemia, weakness, fatigue, and often, an enlarged spleen and liver. Myelofibrosis is an uncommon type of chronic leukemia — a cancer that affects the blood-forming tissues in the body. Myelofibrosis belongs to a group of diseases called myeloproliferative disorders.
To assess the incidence, clinical features at presentation, hematologic, immunophenotypic, and cytogenetic characteristics of AMKL in children we prospectively studied 834 consecutive non selected children with newly diagnosed acute leukemia (AL) admitted to the Hematology Department at the Instituto Nacional de Pediatría (INP), Mexico, D.F. We found 682 cases (81.8%) with a typical ALL immunophenotype, and the remaining 152 (18.2%) were considered to have AML.
In the past, the treatment of myelofibrosis has depended on the symptoms and degree of the low blood counts. A long-term remission is possible for some patients with bone marrow transplantation. Such treatment should be considered for younger patients and some others. Other treatment may involve:Blood transfusions and medicines to correct anemia, Radiation and chemotherapy, Medicines to target a genetic mutation, Splenectomy if swelling causes symptoms, or to help with anemia.