Toxic Hepatitis is an inflammatory disease of liver caused by exposure to certain chemicals, alcohol abuse and drugs. Long-term exposure causes permanent damage to the liver. In some cases, toxic hepatitis develops within hours or days of exposure to a toxin. In other cases, it may take months of regular use before signs and symptoms of toxic hepatitis appear. The prevalence of toxic hepatitis is not well studied. Almost all the marketed drugs cause liver damage to some extent. Most cases of the disease go unreported as the symptoms tend to reduce once the exposure to toxin is stopped.
People with severe symptoms are likely to receive supportive therapy in the hospital, including intravenous fluids and medication to relieve nausea and vomiting. Patients with irreversible damage to the liver may require liver transplant. The symptoms often go away when exposure to the toxin stops. Overdoses of some OTC medications, such as acetaminophen can lead to liver failure. Get immediate medical care if a suspected overdose of acetaminophen is observed.