Department of Rural Technology, Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Chhattisgarh, India
Received date: December 15, 2014; Accepted date: December 16, 2014; Published date: December 22, 2014
Citation: Patel DK (2015) “Biodiversity: What is and Why Important”. J Biodivers Endanger Species 3:e121. doi:2332-2543.1000e121
Copyright: © 2015, Patel DK. This is an open-access editorial distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use,distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Visit for more related articles at Journal of Biodiversity & Endangered Species
Biodiversity is a form of variation in life in different habitats of a certain ecological areas. It is a variation within and between species in particular habitats. There are some subdivisions of the biodiversity like genetic diversity, species diversity and ecosystem diversity. Biodiversity is a remarkable association of the species of specific species and their associations.
It is of a great significance due to participation role in multifold direction for ecosystem as well as for living beings including human beings. It also regulates and affects the variation and trends of the life. Some important values of the Biodiversity includes –
1. Source of food – It is a better sources of food to the living beings needed for generation and regulation of the life.
2. Source of Medicine – There is a rich diversity of the plants in nature. Out of them many includes medicinal properties and are used as a sources of medicine to the peoples due to their effectiveness and low prize.
3. Ecological balance – In nature there is a specific and remarkable role of the each species. Each ones function is particular in nature. The roles of microorganisms are also significant with the role of plants and animals in varied directions.
4. Support to the species diversity – In nature each one species are interconnected in many ways of their life and are finally surrounded by the environment which affecting directly or indirectly to their life system.
5. Environmental conservation – It participating role in conservation of various components of the environment.
6. Control on Soil erosion - Plants performing role in control on soil erosion in different zones.
7. Industrial values – It is a better sources of raw materials to the industry for formation of clothes, paper, Wax, Rubber, wool etc.
8. Recreational value and Ecotourism – Ii provide recreation and also important for development of ecotourism.
9. Water resource protection – Biodiversity also maintain the quality and quantity of water in certain ecological areas. It manage against the effect of flood, drought etc.
10. Pollution control – It is playing a significant role in pollution control in nature. By purifying the environmental components it is playing important role in pollution control.
11. Regulation of climates – Forests maintains the rainfall that supports the regulation of hydrological cycle in nature important for life of each species.
12. Educational values – It provides not only better facility to study on certain species and their life pattern but also support the scientific observation of the species in nature.
13. Biogeochemical cycles – Biodiversity regulates the biogeochemical cycles in particular ecosystem needed for better growth and development of the varied species.
14. Economic benefits – Biodiversity plays role in economic growth of the peoples as the nature with rich biodiversity is a better sources of valuable products such as food, medicine, fish and many more useful things to human beings.
15. Ethical values – Biodiversity focus on the human relationship with the other bio species in nature. So, due to ethical value the species are protected by the human beings.
16. Providing better chances to the species – The basic life requirements of the each species are presence of food, protection and better chances of reproduction. These all are significantly fulfilled by the richness of the Biodiversity.
17. Productive value –It is a better sources for productions of animal as well as plant products important for preparation of various beneficial products using it.
18. Existence values –It also support the life to live in nature and playing a great role in existence of the diversity of the species of the plants and animals both in certain ecological areas.
Finally in conclusion, Due to a great significance of Biodiversity (as their multifold utilization and performance to support the species diversity) it is urgent need to conserve the Biodiversity in effective manner.
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals