Does BRAF V600E Mutation Enable Vemurafenib to be a Universal Candidate for Treating a Plethora of Cancers?
Ministry of Health Head and Neck Pathology, Cairo University, Egypt
- *Corresponding Author:
- Ebtissam Alerraqi
Ministry of Health Head and Neck Pathology
Cairo University, Egypt
Tel: +86 (20) 8411 1085
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: April 18, 2016; Accepted Date: May 18, 2016; Published Date: May 20, 2016
Citation: Alerraqi E (2016) Does BRAF V600E Mutation Enable Vemurafenib to be a Universal Candidate for Treating a Plethora of Cancers?. J Mol Biomark Diagn S2:020. doi: 10.4172/2155-9929.S2-020
Copyright: © 2016 Alerraqi E. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Visit for more related articles at Journal of Molecular Biomarkers & Diagnosis
Neurologically, BRAF V600E mutation was detected in cerebellar anaplastic pilocytic astrocytoma, ganglioglioma, desmoplastic infantile astrocytoma, indeterminate cell tumor and interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma. Hematologically, BRAF V600E mutation was also detected in multiple myeloma and several leukemias (hairy cell, chronic lymphocytic, prolymphocytic and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia).
Thanks to molecular pathology, BRAF V600E mutation was detected in several head and neck neoplasms such as ameloblastoma , isthmic malignant thyroid nodules , primary and metastatic papillary thyroid carcinoma [3-5].
Neurologically, BRAF V600E mutation was detected in cerebellar anaplastic pilocytic astrocytoma , ganglioglioma , desmoplastic infantile astrocytoma , indeterminate cell tumor and interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma . Hematologically, BRAF V600E mutation was also detected in multiple myeloma  and several leukemias (hairy cell, chronic lymphocytic, prolymphocytic and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia) [11-13].
In GIT, BRAF V600E mutation induces gastrointestinal crypt senescence and promotes tumor progression as in gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors, colorectal cancer [14-19].
Other miscellaneous targets include melanoma (and conjunctival melanoma) [20,21], Japanese lung adenoc
arcinoma , non-small cell lung cancer , metanephric adenoma (and the associated active hyperplastic perilobar nephrogenic rests) [24,25], papillary craniopharyngioma , syringocystadenoma papilliferum , Erdheim-Chester disease [28,29], pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma  and in in serous ovarian tumors .
Taken together, this shared mutation may explain the metastatic map of some cancers and may help pathologists understand confusing syndromes. This was the case when a genodermatosis syndrome associated with BRAF V600E mosaicism has been recently introduced. Similar to Schimmelpenning-Feuerstein-Mims syndrome, this neoplastic syndrome is expected to be driven by mosaicism of HRAS and/or KRAS activating mutations .
The immunohistochemical marker VE1 was successfully introduced to appreciate these mutations in the histological specimens of such tumor cells [33-35].
This promoted BRAF V600E oncogene to be a potential target for therapy with variable degrees of success. However, it takes two arms to embrace success. Encoding the “other” arm warrants more therapeutic success as in the case of targeting MAP2K1 and BRAF mutations in hairy cell leukemia , BRAF V600E-BRAFV600K in melanoma , as well as BRAF V600E-TERT promoter mutations in papillary thyroid cancers .
Accordingly, this overview may highlight the significance and efficacy of vemurafenib in treating BRAF-V600E-mutated cancers .
- Sweeney RT, McClary AC, Myers BR, Biscocho J, Neahring L, et al. (2014) Identification of recurrent SMO and BRAF mutations in ameloblastomas. Nat genet 46: 722-725.
- Campennì A, Giovanella L, Alibrandi A, Siracusa M, Ruggeri RM, et al. BRAF (V600E) mutation in isthmic malignant thyroid nodules. Clinical endocrinology. 84: 152-153.
- Howell GM, Nikiforova MN, Carty SE, Armstrong MJ, Hodak SP, et al. (2013) BRAF V600E mutation independently predicts central compartment lymph node metastasis in patients with papillary thyroid cancer. Annals of surgical oncology. 20: 47-52.
- Li C, Aragon Han P, Lee KC, Lee LC, Fox AC, et al. (2013) Does BRAF V600E mutation predict aggressive features in papillary thyroid cancer? Results from four endocrine surgery centers. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 98: 3702-3712.
- Rothenberg SM, McFadden DG, Palmer EL, Daniels GH, Wirth LJ (2015) Redifferentiation of iodine-refractory BRAF V600E-mutant metastatic papillary thyroid cancer with dabrafenib. Clin Cancer Res 21: 1028-1035.
- Yeo YH, Byrne NP, Counelis GJ, Perry A (2013) Adult with cerebellar anaplastic pilocytic astrocytoma associated with BRAF V600E mutation and p16 loss. Clin neuropathol 32: 159-164.
- Koelsche C, Wöhrer A, Jeibmann A, Schittenhelm J, Schindler G, et al. (2013) Mutant BRAF V600E protein in ganglioglioma is predominantly expressed by neuronal tumor cells. Acta neuropathol 125: 891-900.
- Koelsche C, Sahm F, Paulus W, Mittelbronn M, Giangaspero F, et al. (2014) BRAF V600E expression and distribution in desmoplastic infantile astrocytoma/ganglioglioma. Neuropathol app neurobiol 40: 337-344.
- O’Malley DP, Agrawal R, Grimm KE, Hummel J, Glazyrin A, et al. (2015) Evidence of BRAF V600E in indeterminate cell tumor and interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma. Ann diagnpatholo 19: 113-116.
- Rustad EH, Dai HY, Hov H, Coward E, Beisvag V, et al. (2014) Clinical and Biological Implications of BRAF V600E Mutation in Multiple Myeloma. Blood 124.
- Tiacci E, Schiavoni G, Forconi F, Santi A, Trentin L, et al. (2012) Simple genetic diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia by sensitive detection of the BRAF-V600E mutation. Blood 119: 192-195.
- Andrulis M, Penzel R, Weichert W, von Deimling A, Capper D (2012) Application of a BRAF V600E mutation-specific antibody for the diagnosis of hairy cell leukemia. Am J surg pathol 36: 1796-1800.
- Langabeer SE, Quinn F, O’Brien D, McElligott AM, Kelly J, et al. (2012) Incidence of the BRAF V600E mutation in chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and prolymphocyticleukaemia. Leuk res. 36: 483-484.
- Rad R, Cadiñanos J, Rad L, Varela I, Strong A, et al. (2013) A genetic progression model of Braf V600E-induced intestinal tumorigenesis reveals targets for therapeutic intervention. Cancer cell 24: 15-29.
- Park C, Ha SY, Kim ST, Kim HC, Heo JS, et al. (2015) Identification of the BRAF V600E mutation in gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Oncotarget 7: 4024-4035.
- Affolter K, Samowitz W, Tripp S, Bronner MP (2013)BRAF V600E mutation detection by immunohistochemistry in colorectal carcinoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 52: 748-752.
- Chen W, Jaffe R, Zhang L, Hill C, Block AM, et al. (2013) Langerhans cell sarcoma arising from chronic lymphocytic lymphoma/small lymphocytic leukemia: lineage analysis and BRAF V600E mutation study. N Am J med sci 5:386-391.
- Bendell JC, Atreya CE, Andre T, Tabernero J, Gordon MS, et al. (2014) Efficacy and tolerability in an open-label phase I/II study of MEK inhibitor trametinib (T), BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib (D), and anti-EGFR antibody panitumumab (P) in combination in patients (pts) with BRAF V600E mutated colorectal cancer (CRC). InASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings32.
- Chen D, Huang JF, Liu K, Zhang LQ, Yang Z, et al. (2014) BRAF V600E mutation and its association with clinicopathological features of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 9:e90607.
- Fallahi-Sichani M, Moerke NJ, Dastur A, Benes CH, Sorger PK (2013) A systems biology approach to understanding differential phenotypic outcome of BRAF (V600E) inhibition in melanoma cells. Cancer Research 73: 5213.
- Griewank KG, Westekemper H, Murali R, Mach M, Schilling B, et al. (2013) Livingstone E, Sucker A, Grabellus F, Metz C. Conjunctival melanomas harbor BRAF and NRAS mutations and copy number changes similar to cutaneous and mucosal melanomas. Clini Cancer Res 19: 3143-3152.
- Sasaki H, Shimizu S, Tani Y, Shitara M, Okuda K, et al. (2013) Usefulness of immunohistochemistry for the detection of the BRAF V600E mutation in Japanese lung adenocarcinoma. Lung Cancer 82: 51-54.
- Cardarella S, Ogino A, Nishino M, Butaney M, Shen J, et al. (2013) Clinical, pathologic, and biologic features associated with BRAF mutations in non–small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 19: 4532-4540.
- Argani P, Lee J, Netto GJ, Zheng G, Tseh-Lin M, et al. (2016) Frequent BRAF V600E Mutations in Metanephric Stromal Tumor. Am J Surg Pathol.
- Fernández AR, Amate AH, Delgado MD, Durán ÁG (2015)Mutación de BRAFV600E en restosnefrogénicosperilobareshiperplásicosactivosasociados a adenoma metanéfrico. Revista Española de Patología 48: 231-235.
- Brastianos PK, Santagata S (2015) Endocrine Tumours: BRAF V600E mutations in papillary craniopharyngioma. E J Endocrinol 174: 139-144.
- Levinsohn JL, Sugarman JL, Bilguvar K, McNiff JM, Choate KA (2015) Somatic V600E BRAF Mutation in Linear and Sporadic SyringocystadenomaPapilliferum. J Invest Dermato 135: 2536-2538.
- Haroche J, Cohen-Aubart F, Emile JF, Arnaud L, Maksud P, et al. (2013) Dramatic efficacy of vemurafenib in both multisystemic and refractory Erdheim-Chester disease and Langerhans cell histiocytosis harboring the BRAF V600E mutation. Blood 121: 1495-1500.
- Blombery P, Wong SQ, Lade S, Prince HM (2012) Erdheim-Chester disease harboring the BRAF V600E mutation. J Clin Onco 30: e331-332.
- Sasaki T, Saito R, Kumabe T, Kanamori M, Sonoda Y, et al. (2014) Transformation of adult cerebellar pilocytic astrocytoma to glioblastoma. Brain tumor pathol 31: 108-112.
- Grisham RN, Iyer G, Garg K, DeLair D, Hyman DM, et al. (2013) BRAF Mutation is associated with early stage disease and improved outcome in patients with low-grade serous ovarian cancer. Cancer 119: 548-554.
- Watanabe Y, Shido K, Niihori T, Niizuma H, Katata Y, et al. (2016) Somatic BRAF c. 1799T>A p. V600E Mosaicism syndrome characterized by a linear syringocystadenomapapilliferum, anaplastic astrocytoma, and ocular abnormalities. Am J Med Genet A 170: 189-194.
- Chang J, Wang Y, Chiang C (2015) Clinicopathologic Correlations of BRAF V600E Mutation and Braf V600E Immunohistochemistry in Ameloblastomas. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology 120: e155.
- Koperek O, Kornauth C, Capper D, Berghoff AS, Asari R, et al. (2012) Immunohistochemical detection of the BRAF V600E-mutated protein in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Am J surg pathol 36: 844-850.
- Sajanti S, Sirniö P, Väyrynen JP, Tuomisto A, Klintrup K, et al. (2014) VE1 immunohistochemistry accurately detects BRAF V600E mutations in colorectal carcinoma and can be utilized in the detection of poorly differentiated colorectal serrated adenocarcinoma. VirchowsArchiv 464: 637-643.
- Shin SY, Lee ST, Kim HJ, Ki CS, Jung CW, et al. (2015) BRAF V600E and MAP2K1 mutations in hairy cell leukemia and splenic marginal zone lymphoma cases. Ann lab med 35: 257-259.
- McArthur GA, Chapman PB, Robert C, Larkin J, Haanen JB, et al. (2014) Safety and efficacy of vemurafenib in BRAF V600E and BRAF V600K mutation-positive melanoma (BRIM-3): extended follow-up of a phase 3, randomised, open-label study. lancet oncol 15: 323-332.
- Xing M, Liu R, Liu X, Murugan AK, Zhu G, et al.(2014) BRAF V600E and TERT promoter mutations cooperatively identify the most aggressive papillary thyroid cancer with highest recurrence. J Clin Oncol 32: 2718-2726.