Gestational Prooxidant-Antioxidant Imbalance may be at Higher Risk for Postpartum Thyroid Disease
Received Date: Nov 15, 2017 / Accepted Date: Nov 25, 2017 / Published Date: Nov 30, 2017
Thyroid hormones (THs) regulate many features of fetal development [1-29]. Also, the balance between antioxidants/ prooxidants is critical for the cellular homeostasis and for the development [5-10,30]. This protection might be facilitated by the maternofetal thyroid states [2,5,6,31,32]. Additionally, the defense mechanisms against free radical-induced oxidative stress involve [2,33] (1) preventative mechanisms; (2) repair mechanisms; (3) physical defences; and (4) antioxidant defenses. Alternatively, it was also stated that reactive oxygen species (ROS) may play critical roles in several developmental and physiological processes, however when being in excess ROS can cause oxidative damage [2,5,6].
Any reduction in the availability of THs might possibly disturb the fetal and neonatal development [1-10,24-26]. These imbalances resulting from the production of free radicals, lipid peroxidation (LPO), carbonylation and nitration, and reduce the enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidant defense system [2,5,6,33-35]. More so, a progressive hypothyroidism during the postnatal period led to a decrease in the levels of total thiol (t-SH) [5,6] and glutathione (GSH) [36,37] and in the activities of glutathione peroxidase (GPx), superoxide dismutase (SOD), and catalase (CAT) associated with an increase in the levels of nitric oxide (NO) [5,6], hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)  protein carbonyl (PCa), LPO [36,38] and hydroxyl radical (·OH) [2,36]. These disorders caused oxidative stress [5,6,39]. On the other hand, hypothyroidism is associated with cellular ionic imbalance, augmented oxidative stress, and decreased GSH and glutathione-Stransferase (GST) [2,5,6,39-41]. Also, a reduction in the levels of free radical is predictable on account of the metabolic inhibition by the hypothyroid state [42-44]. This disturbance has deleterious effect on the health of the newborns and adulthood [5-10]. Thus, I could infer that the imbalance in pro/antioxidant system might cause some developmental damage related to thyroid disorders. Additional studies are wanted to highlight the role of oxidative stress signs as indicators of thyroid dysfunctions.
Conflict of Interest
The author declares that no competing financial interests exist.
- Ahmed OM, Abd El-Tawab SM, Ahmed RG (2010) Effects of experimentally induced maternal hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism on the development of rat offspring: I- The development of the thyroid hormones-neurotransmitters and adenosinergic system interactions. Int J DevNeurosci 28: 437-454.
- Ahmed OM, El-Gareib AW, El-bakry AM, Abd El-Tawab SM, Ahmed RG (2008) Thyroid hormones states and brain development interactions. Int J DevNeurosci 26: 147-209.
- El-bakryAM, El-Ghareeb AW, Ahmed RG (2010) Comparative study of the effects of experimentally-induced hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in some brain regions in albino rats.Int J DevNeurosci 28: 371-389.
- Ahmed RG (2011) Perinatal 2, 3, 7, 8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin exposure alters developmental neuroendocrine system. Food Chem Toxicology 49: 1276-1284.
- Ahmed OM, Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW, El-Bakry AM, Abd El-Tawaba SM (2012) Effects of experimentally induced maternal hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism on the development of rat offspring: II-The developmental pattern of neurons in relation to oxidative stress and antioxidant defense system. Int J DevNeurosci 30: 517–537.
- Ahmed RG (2012) Maternal-fetal thyroid interactions, Thyroid Hormone, Dr. N.K. Agrawal (Ed.), In Tech Open Access 5:125-156.
- Ahmed RG (2013) Early weaning PCB 95 exposure alters the neonatal endocrine system: thyroid adipokine dysfunction. J Endocrinol219: 205-215.
- Ahmed RG Davis PJ, Davis FB, De Vito P, Farias RN, Luly P, et al. (2013) Nongenomic actions of thyroid hormones: from basic research to clinical applications. Immunol Endocrine Metab Agents in Med Chem 13: 46-59.
- Ahmed RG, Incerpi S (2013) Gestational doxorubicin alters fetal thyroid–brain axis. Int JDevl Neuroscience 31: 96-104.
- Van Herck SLJ, Geysens S, Bald E, Chwatko G, Delezie E, et al. (2013) Maternal transfer of methimazole and effects on thyroid hormone availability in embryonic tissues. Endocrinol 218: 105-115.
- Incerpi S, Hsieh MT, Lin HY, Cheng GY, De Vito P, et al. (2014) Thyroid hormone inhibition in L6 myoblasts of IGF-I-mediated glucose uptake and proliferation: new roles for integrin αvβ3. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 307: C150–C161.
- Ahmed RG (2015a) Hypothyroidism and brain developmental players. Thyroid Research J 8: 1-12.
- Ahmed RG (2015b) Maternofetal thyroid action and brain development. J of Advances in Biology 7: 1207-1213.
- Ahmed RG (2015c) Developmental adipokines and maternal obesity interactions. J. of Advances in Biology 7: 1189-1206.
- Ahmed RG (2016a) Maternalbisphenol A alters fetal endocrine system: Thyroid adipokine dysfunction. Food Chem Toxicology 95:168-174.
- Ahmed RG,Abdel-Latif M, Ahmed F (2015b) Protective effects of GM-CSF in experimental neonatal hypothyroidism. Intern Immunopharmacol 29: 538-543.
- Ahmed RG, Abdel-Latif M, Mahdi E, El-Nesr K (2015a) Immune stimulation improves endocrine and neural fetal outcomes in a model of maternofetal thyrotoxicosis. IntImmunopharmacol 29: 714-721.
- De Vito P, Candelotti E, Ahmed RG, Luly P, Davis PJ (2015) Role of thyroid hormones in insulin resistance and diabetes. ImmunEndocMetab Agents in Med Chem 15: 86-93.
- Candelotti E, De Vito P, Ahmed RG, Luly P, Davis PJ, et al. (2015) Thyroid hormones crosstalk with growth factors: Old facts and new hypotheses. ImmunEndocMetabAgents in Med Chem 15: 71-85.
- Ahmed RG(2016b) Gestational dexamethasone alters fetal neuroendocrine axis. Toxicology Letters 258:46-54.
- Ahmed RG (2016c) Maternal iodine deficiency and brain disorders. Endocrinol Metab Syndr 5: 223.
- El-Ghareeb AA, El-Bakry AM, Ahmed RG, Gaber A (2016) Effects of zinc supplementation in neonatal hypothyroidism and cerebellar distortion induced by maternal carbimazole. Asian J of Applied Sci 4: 1030-1040.
- Lanshakov DA, Sukhareva EV, Kalinina TS, Dygalo NN (2016) Dexamethasone- induced acute excitotoxic cell death in the developing brain. Neurobiol Dispp: 1-9.
- Ahmed RG (2017a)Hyperthyroidism and developmental dysfunction. Arch Med9: 4.
- Ahmed RG (2017b) Perinatal hypothyroidism and cytoskeleton dysfunction. EndocrinolMetabSyndr 6: 271.
- Ahmed RG (2017c) Developmental thyroid diseases and monoaminergic dysfunction. Advances in Applied Sci 8: 01-10.
- Ahmed RG (2017d) Hypothyroidism and brain development. J Anim Res Nut2: 13.
- Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW (2017) Maternal carbamazepine alters fetal neuroendocrine-cytokines axis. Toxicology 382:59-66.
- Gigena N, Alamino VA, Montesinos MM, Nazar M, Louzada RA, et al. (2017) Dissecting thyroid hormone transport and metabolism in dendritic cells. J. Endocrinol232: 337-350.
- Livingstone DR (2001) Contaminated-stimulated reactive oxygen species production and oxidative damage in aquatic organisms. Mar Pollut Bull 42: 656-666.
- Das K, Chainy GBN (2001) Modulation of rat liver mitochondrial antioxidant defence system by thyroid hormone. BiochimBiophysActa 1537: 1-13.
- Dasgupta A, Das S, Sarkar PK (2007) Thyroid hormone promotes glutathione synthesis in astrocytes by up regulation of glutamate cysteine ligase through differential stimulation of its catalytic and modulator subunit mRNAs. Free RadicBiol Med 42: 617-626.
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MTD, Mazur M, et al. (2007) Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84.
- Harman D (1998) Aging and oxidative stress. JIFCC 10: 24-27.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC (2007) Free radicals in biology and medicine. UK: Oxford University Press.
- Rahaman SO, Ghosh S, Mohanakumar KP, Das S, Sarkar PK (2001) Hypothyroidism in the developing rat brain is associated with marked oxidative stress and aberrant intraneuronal accumulation of neurofilaments. Neurosci Res 4: 273-279.
- Mogulkoc R, Baltaci AK, Aydin L, Oztekin E, Sivrikaya A (2005) The effect of thyroxine administration on lipid peroxidation in different tissues of rats with hypothyroidism. ActaPhysiologicaHungarica 92: 39-46.
- Bhanja S, Chainy GBN (2010) PTU-induced hypothyroidism modulates antioxidant defence status in the developing cerebellum. Int JDevNeurosci 28: 251-262.
- Dasgupta A, Das S, Sarkar PK (2005) Thyroid hormone stimulates gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase in the developing rat cerebra and in astroglial cultures. Neurosci Res 82: 851-857.
- Kirstein C, Coopersmith R, Bridges R, Leon, M(1991) Glutathione levels in olfactory and non-olfactory neural structures of rats. Brain Research 543, 341–346.
- Janaky R, Ogita K, Pasqualotto B, Bains J, Oja S,et al. (1999) Glutathione and signal transduction in the mammalian CNS. Neurochemistry 73:888-902.
- Swaroop A, Ramasarma T (1985) Heat exposure and hypothyroid conditions decrease hydrogen peroxide generation in liver mitochondria. Biochem J 226: 403-408.
- Paller MS (1986) Hypothyroidism protects against free radical damage in ischemic acute renal failure. Kidney Int 29:1162-1166.
- Pereira B, Rosa LF, Safi DA, Bechara EJ, Curi R (1994) Control of superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase activities in rat lymphoid organs by thyroid hormones. J Endocrinol 140: 73-77.
Citation: Ahmed RG (2017) Gestational Prooxidant-Antioxidant Imbalance may be at Higher Risk for Postpartum Thyroid Disease. Endocrinol Metab Syndr 6:279. Doi: 10.4172/2161-1017.1000279
Copyright: © 2017 Ahmed RG. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language
Share This Article
April 16-17, 2018 Dubai, UAE
June 04-05, 2018 Baltimore, USA
October 23-24, 2018 Toronto, Canada
October 29-30,2018 San Francisco, USA
October 22-23, 2018 Istanbul, Turkey
- Total views: 699
- [From(publication date): 0-2017 - Feb 22, 2018]
- Breakdown by view type
- HTML page views: 654
- PDF downloads: 45