Holistic Healing- A Current Need of Holistic Medicine
Received Date: Feb 07, 2018 / Accepted Date: Feb 15, 2018 / Published Date: Feb 19, 2018
Holistic medicine is a whole person healing. Human body works as a whole, holistic healing is by using medicinal herbs, fruits, vegetables, probiotics dietary supplements, quantum healing, maintaining the normal human gut microbiota to maintain normal homeostatic environment to treat many diseases, without adverse effects, friendly and beneficial to the human body. This article briefs about the current need of holistic healing in providing preventive, promotive, therapeutic human health care.
Keywords: Quantum healing; Probiotics; IL-1; TNF-α; IL-6; NF-KB; STAT-3; Vitamin D; Anticancer activity; Autoimmune disease.
IL-1: Interleukin 1; IL-2- Interleukin 2; IL-6: Interleukin 6; IL-12: Interleukin-12; TNF-oe: Tumor Necrosis Factor-Alpha; NF-kB: Nuclear Factor-kappa B receptor; STAT-3: Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription-3; TLR: Toll like Receptor; Th1: Type 1 Helper Cells; Th2: Type 2 Helper Cells; mmp-2,9: Matrix- Metallo Proteases 2,9.
Holistic healing is the whole person healing, human body works as a whole. Human body has an excellent capacity to heal by itself, Holistic healing yields better results without any adverse effects and inexpensive, has a preventive, therapeutic, promotive and palliative role in treatment of various diseases. One of the holistic method of healing is by using endorphins. Rather than considering the human body as a whole, if we consider the human body as many parts to treat any disease with a reductionist chemical drug, which has many adverse drug reactions, expensive with increase in mortality and morbidity [1-3].
Irrespective of any reductionist chemical drug intake goes to the liver for detoxification and the remaining amount of drug, which comes out from liver after detoxification causes various adverse effects known as first pass metabolism. During this period liver enzymes are increased to the certain level. Medicinal herbs, fruits, vegetables has a very good medicinal effects, consists of antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin- A, C and E, Vitamin D, minerals, which boosts our immune system by activating innate and adaptive immune cells and antiinflammatory role by decreasing inflammatory mediators such as free radicals such as reactive oxygen species (ROS), reactive nitrogen species (RNS) and cytokines (IL-1, IL-6, TNF-α). They have preventive, promotive, therapeutic, palliative effects, beneficial, and friendly to the human body without adverse effects [4-6].
Quantum healing is akin to self-healing or auto healing, a type of holistic healing. Inside and outside of the human body consists of energy, our positive thoughts with a genuine intension to heal by production of endorphins. Consciousness is fundamental and all matters as derived from consciousness. Most of all diseases start in mind. Mind has a blue print of the human body. Each time when the matter is oscillates between energy and matter, human body tries to rebuild on its own. The concept of aduality states that matter can be converted into energy and energy can be converted into matter proposed by Nobel laureate Hans Peter Durr. Endorphins are neuropeptide’s endogenous opioids synthesized and stored in the pituitary gland in response to stress from hypothalamus. These are of three types beta-endorphins, dynorphins and enkephalins binds with mu, delta and kappa receptors located on peripheral and central nervous system. Beta-endorphins are more abundant type of endorphins synthesized and stored in the anterior pituitary gland. Inflammation is the basis for all diseases from infectious diseases, autoimmune diseases and cancer. Meditation, yoga, pranic healing, chi therapy, pranayama creates positive energy as a capacity to heal diseases by producing endorphins [1-3].
Beta endorphins has an anti-tumor activity by activating NK cells and macrophages produce interferon gamma (IFN-γ), perforin, granzyme–B. Anti-inflammatory role by producing cytokines such as interleukin-10, Interferon- Gamma (IFN-γ) and IL-18, decreases cellular proliferation, activating cellular apoptosis and alters P53 tumor suppressor gene expression and mutation in tumor micro environment by suppressing inflammatory mediators such as (ROS, RNS, (Nitric oxide NO) and transcription factors such as (Nuclear factor-Kappa B) NF-KB, responsible for antagonistic activity and mutation of P53 . Analgesic activity by decreasing substance -p neurotransmitter of pain. Immune stimulatory activity by receptors of endorphins found on immune cells binds with beta-endorphins results in activation of macrophages, NK- cells, T and B lymphocytes produce interferongamma (IFN-γ), perforin, granzyme- b has an anti-viral activity. Antiinflammatory activity by immune cells produce beta- endorphins which produce cytokines such as interleukin- 10, interferongamma( IFN-γ) and IL-18, decrease of NF-kB and Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription-3 (STAT-3) key transcription factors activity. Reduce ageing by lengthening telomeres, and free radicals (ROS, RNS), released during oxidative stress involved in cell ageing, cell death, cell injury and genetic mutation [7-10]. Endorphins especially beta-endorphins are used in the treatment of autoimmune diseases by reducing the stress mediated production of neuropeptide’s, through (Hypothalamo-pituitary adrenal axis) HPA- axis, via sympathetic nervous system produce inflammatory mediators such as IL-1, TNF-α and IL-6, pro-inflammatory cytokines activate NF-KB transcription factor involved in chronic inflammation, conversion of Th1 to Th2 lymphocytic type, immune modulation by altered Tregs, otherwise involved in self-tolerance and immune homeostasis, activation of matrix metallo proteases 2, 9, results in tissue damage, cellular changes leads to auto immune diseases [2,11-17].
Stress buster activity by decreasing sympathetic nervous system activity of (Autonomic nervous system) ANS reduce cortisol and nonepinephrine, induced inflammatory mediators (such as IL-1, IL-6 and TNF-α). In the peripheral nervous system (PNS), beta- endorphins binds to mu opioid receptors results in decreasing substance-p, neurotransmitter of pain results in analgesic activity. In the (Central nervous system) CNS, beta- endorphins binds to mu opioid receptors, results in inhibiting (Gama amino butyric acid) GABA neuroinhibitory transmitter and activation of dopamine neurotransmitter results in analgesic, euphoric, self- reward and cognitive development. The gut microbiota consists of symbiotic microorganisms such as viruses, fungi, protozoa to maintain normal homeostasis of the human body. There are 100 trillion germs present acts as a military system of the human body by activating immune system by production of cytokines such as IL-2, IL-12, mucosal integrity, anti- inflammatory activity by production of cytokines such as IL-10 and IL-18. Antiinflammatory and cholesterol reduction by production of short chain fatty acids such as butyrate, propionate, and acetate obtained from dietary fibers xyloglucans digested by Bacteroides species and also serves as an energy for colonic epithelial cells. Immune stimulatory by sensing the microorganisms using haematopoietic and nonhaematopoietic system involving innate immune cells. Produce vitamins to the host such as vitamin K, folates, riboflavin, cobalamine, and biotin. Production of lactic acid and bacteriocins antimicrobial factors. Gut microbiota involved in tolerogenic response to gut dendritic cells and Th17 helper cell inhibition, results in antiinflammatory activity. Production of IgA antibody acts as a first line of mucosal defense involved in gut barrier function. It also involved in modulation or detoxification of metabolic toxins by activation of p450 detoxifying enzyme via hydrolysis, oxidation or reduction, conjugation through methylation, hydroxylation, sulfonylation. Short chain fatty acids also involved in detoxification of metabolic toxins produced after metabolism of dietary fibers. Activation of enzyme glutathione-stransferase involved in detoxification. Dysbiosis results in various diseases like infectious diseases, cancer, autoimmune, psychological, cardiovascular diseases [18-23]. Maintaining normal gut microbiota by probiotics provides a holistic, preventive, promotive and therapeutic approach for many diseases.
Holistic healing is necessary for current medicine, because using reductionist chemical drug for treating human disease have many adverse drug effects with increasing morbidity and mortality. Holistic healing is not only helpful for therapeutic purpose but also useful for preventive, promotive and palliative human health care.
- Hegde BM (2015) Human mind and quantum healing. Indian academy of Clinical Medicine 16: 182-183.
- Shrihari TG (2017) Quantum healing approach to new generation of holistic healing. Transl Med 7: 198.
- Shrihari TG (2017) Quantum healing– A novel current concept of holistic healing. Int J Complem Alternat Med 10: 329.
- Shrihari TG, Vijeev V, Soundarya K, Deepa R, Manjunath V, et al. (2016) Anti-inflammatory dietary supplements in chemoprevention of oral cancer. Cancer Res Front 2: 380-395.
- Shrihari TG (2018) Anti-inflammatory dietary supplements in prevention of diseases in geriatric people. Gerontol Geriatric Stud 1: 1-2.
- Shrihari TG (2018) Vitamin D role in prevention of cancer: overview. Indian J Med Paediatric Oncol 39: 75-78.
- Archana S, Deepali V (2014) Endorphins: Endogenous opioid in human cells. World J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci 4: 357-374.
- Zhang, Chang Q (2013) Role of Beta-endorphin in control of stress and cancer progression in fetal alcohol exposed rats.
- Shrihari TG (2017) Endorphins on cancer: A novel therapeutic approach. J carcinog Mutagen 8: 298.
- Dipak KS, Sengottuvelan M, Changqing Z, Nadka B (2012) Regulation of cancer progression by Beta-endorphin neuron. Cancer Res 72: 836-840.
- Zhang C, Murugan S, Boyadjieva N, Jabbar S, Shrivastava P, et al. (2015) Beta endorphin cell therapy for cancer prevention. Cancer Prev Res 8: 56-67.
- Ljudmila S (2010) Stress and autoimmunity. Autoimmunity Rev 9: 271-276.
- Stojanovich L, Marisavijevich D (2008) Stress as a trigger of autoimmune disease. Autoimmun Rev 7: 209-213.
- Nani M, Irwin MR, Chung M, Wang C (2014) The effect of mind–body therapies on the immune system–Meta analysis. PLos One 9: 10-24.
- Priyadarshini S, Palok A (2012) Effects of psychological stress on innate immunity and metabolism in humans: A systematic analysis. Plos One 7: 8-15.
- Adam SPB, Smith G, Sugai d, Parsa FD (2010) Understanding endorphins and their importance in pain management. Hawaii Med J 69: 70-71.
- Fancourt D, Ockelford A, Belai A (2014) The psychoneuroimmunological effects of music: A systematic review and a new model. Brain Behav Immun 36: 15-26.
- Wang B, Yao M, Lv L, Ling Z, Li L, et al. (2017) The human microbiotain health and disease engineering 3: 71-82.
- Anders HJ, Andersen K, Stecher B (2013) The intestinal microbiota, a leaky gut, and abnormal immunity in kidney disease. Kidney Int 83: 1010-1016.
- Tremaroli V, Backhed F (2012) Functional interactions between the gut microbiota and host metabolism. Nature 489: 242-249.
- Sedlmeir P, Eberth J, Schwar ZM, Zimmermann D, Haarig F, et al. (2012) The psychological effects of meditations: A meta -analysis. Psychol Bull 138: 1139-1171.
- Naghmeh HA, Michael M, Amita KH, Nicholas Shaw P, Peter JC (2014) Front Biotransformation of beta-endorphin and possible therapeutic – frontiers. Pharmacol 19: 1-8.
- Saba GC (2011) The immune-endocrinal system: Hormones, receptors and endocrine function of immune cells. The packed transport theory. Advances Neuro Immune Biol 1: 71-85.
Citation: Shrihari TG (2018) Holistic Healing- A Current Need of Holistic Medicine. J Cell Sci Ther 9: 280. DOI: 10.4172/2157-7013.1000280
Copyright: © 2018 Shrihari TG. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language
Share This Article
- Total views: 1213
- [From(publication date): 0-2018 - Feb 24, 2019]
- Breakdown by view type
- HTML page views: 1157
- PDF downloads: 56