Before launching the consumption of vitamins
you must be eat a variate of food, with vegetables, fruit, meet, glucose, etc, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. In some cases, vitamins and minerals are necessary because they can be in a few % in the diet, and we need more of them in some moments of our life or we eat so little amount of them in our diet. But if you eat enough vitamins and minerals, it is possible that supplements of them can produce an increase not healthy of those nutrients.
The recommendations in EEUU are
1. In 50th years old or more: they must consume B12 vitamin in its crystalline form, for example, cereal breakfast or as a supplement. Why? Because adult people have a reduce ability to absorber that vitamin from the food.
2. Women who can delivery babes and can be pregnancy and Young teenagers, must be eat food rich in iron, from meet or eat vegetables with a lot of iron such as dried beans or spinach, or food from cereals with a lot of vitamin C.
3. Furthermore women of childbearing age who may become pregnant and those who are already pregnant should consume each day enough synthetic folic acid (from fortified foods or supplementary) plus a diet that has a variety of food that has folate.
4. Older adults, people with dark skin, and people who are not much in the sun should consume extra vitamin D from fortified foods and / or supplements.
All these recommendations are important but we need to know all supplements cannot substitute a healthy food and in our diary food there are not only vitamins and minerals, other substances that can protect you from illness.
If you or your doctor think about to eat vitamins and minerals you need to respond that series of questions:
1. Do you eat less than two meals at day?
2. Do you have a limited diet? Such as you do not eat meat, milk, lacteal products, or less than 5 pieces of fruit or vegetables every day.
3. Do you eat alone?
4. Do you increase your weight 10 kg in the last six months?
5. Do you take three or more pills a day?
6. Do you drink three or more alcohol drinks?
You and your doctor need to evaluate the use of vitamins and minerals in your diet. Also many people do not comment to the doctor than they are taking pills and supplements and they can produce secondary effects and they should think: “secondary effects only occurs in drugs and not in vitamins and minerals. But we need to know that many vitamins are liposolubres and we can eliminate them easily.
So where can I found information? Obviously the best person is your doctor and only if you want more information you can find more in the administration of drugs and food from EEUU (FDA). They have articles and public information to help people like you. Also they have security information of the products, needed, evaluation information, etc.
The NIH has documents to help you too with the adequate use of dietetic supplements, https://nccih.nih.gov/node/3869?lang=es
To find information you can use MedlinePlus with sections with information of supplements, drugs, and herbal properties.
Remember and be careful about pages in internet, because many people work in miraculous medicines and obviously that is not true.
What can you need to do if you think you have a secondary effect? First, do not take it anymore. After, tell your doctor as soon as possible. And if the reaction is so big, go the hospital with a person to communicate them what happen.
In conclusion, check with your doctor or your dietary which supplement is the best for you and remember they never substitute a meal.