Rhodiola Rosea: From the Adaptogenic Role to the Anti-Adipogenic Effect?
Department of Scienze Agrarie e Ambientali, Università di Udine, via delle Scienze, 206 – 33100 Udine, Italy
- Corresponding Author:
- Monica Colitti
Department of Scienze Agrarie e Ambientali
via delle Scienze, 208 – 33100 Udine, Italy
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: September 09, 2014; Accepted Date: September 11, 2014; Published Date: September 16, 2014
Citation: Colitti M (2014) Rhodiola Rosea: From the Adaptogenic Role to the Anti-Adipogenic Effect? . Endocrinol Metab Synd 3:e123. doi: 10.4172/2161-1017.1000e123
Copyright: © 2014 Colitti M. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Visit for more related articles at Endocrinology & Metabolic Syndrome
Many natural phytonutrients have beneficial effectson health [1,2]. In addition, several botanicals have received positive attention, based on their relative safety and the accumulation of evidence of their antiadipogenic and metabolic effects in animals and humans . Natural products can decrease of lipid absorption, energy intake, lipogenesis, pre-adipocyte differentiation and proliferation or increase of energy expenditure, and lipolysis . These properties exist in specific flavonoids , chlorogenic acid from green coffee bean , and carnosic acid in rosemary . Extracts from Rhodiolarosea (RR) root is poorly characterized for its properties on adipocytes and only recently it has been proposed for a the adjuvant treatment of obesity against obesity .
RR is a popular plant in traditional medical systems in the Nordic countries, Eastern Europe and Asia. It belongs to the family of Crassulaceae with a notoriety for stimulating physical endurance, attention span, memory, and work productivity [9-11]. The genus Rhodiola contains more than 100 different species, and at least 20 of these are used in traditional Asian medicine [12,13]. However, the most of all animal and human studies has been conducted on RR, so whether other species confer the same health benefits is unknown [14,15].
Researches on the RR root phytochemistry has revealed the presence of six distinct groups of chemical compounds: phenylpropanoids (rosavin, rosin, rosarin), phenylethanol derivatives (salidroside, tyrosol); flavonoids (rodiolin, rodionin, rodiosin, acetylrodalgin, tricin), monoterpernes (rosiridol, rosaridin), triterpenes (daucosterol, beta-sitosterol) and phenolic acids (chlorogenic and hydroxycinnamic, gallic acids) [9,16].
According to the Soviet Pharmacopeia [17,18], the extracts of RR - primarily in the form of water/alcohol tinctures or dried root extract - are standardized for both rosavins and salidroside. RR extracts used in most human clinical studies were standardized to minimum 3% rosavins and 0.8-1% salidroside, because the naturally occurring ratio of these compounds in RR root is approximately 3:1 .
The main effects of genus Rhodiola described are adaptogenic that means ‘natural herbal products which are non-toxic in normal doses, produce a non-specific response, and have a normalizing physiologic influence’ and stress protective [19,20]. Moreover, Rhodiolahas been described as antioxidant [21-23], anti-tumour [24,25], antidepressive [26,27], neuroprotective [28,29], cardioprotective [30,31] hepatoprotective [32,33], and immunostimulating [34-36]. Recently, many other benefits from the use of RR has been found including its ability to regulate blood sugar levels for diabetics and to activate the lipolytic processes , mobilizing lipids from adipose tissue to the natural fat burning system of body for weight reduction . In combination with Citrus aurantium, RR has been found to decrease visceral fat weight by 30% of rats fed with high fat diet, having a direct effect on sympathetic tone and on hypothalamic norepinephrine secretion . Although detailed molecular mechanism of the lipid lowering and anti-inflammation effects of salidroside are to be identified, in vivo studies on high fat diet-fed LDLr−/− mice demonstrated that this RR compound reduced serum lipid levels and decreased atherosclerotic plaques formation .
To date only one paper reported the effect of salidroside on the differentiation of 3T3-L1 adipocytes, the mouse embryonic fibroblast cell line used in biological research on adipose tissue . In this cell line, salidroside promoted 3H-glucose uptaking, significantly suppressed the differentiation down-regulating the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARγ) and CCAAT-enhancer-binding proteins alpha (C/EBPα) mRNA . Unfortunately this paper is in Chinese so no more specific data can be obtained.
An anti-adipogenic effect of R crenulata extract and tyrosol have been found, through a mechanism that involves antioxidant enzyme responses and pentose phosphate pathway. The inhibitory effects on adipogenesis were mediated through regulation of proline-mediated energy metabolism and antioxidant enzymes response via the pentose phosphate pathway . R crenulata extract and tyrosol, inhibited adipogenesis and reduced reactive oxygen species (ROS) levels in a dose-dependent manner through an increase of superoxide dismutase activity. Therefore, phenolics can modulate cellular redox environment, that is relevant in obesity-linked metabolic disorders.
In the past, clinical trials performed in Russian Federation provided interesting evidences that the oral administration of 200 mg RR extract with rosavin activates hormone sensitive lipase and mobilizes fatty acids from adipose tissue in healthy volunteers and obese patients [40,41]. Moreover, it has been demonstrated that rosiridin interfered with the degradation of the norepinephrine, that regulates the activity of the hormone-sensitive lipase (HSL) in breaking down fat stored in adipose tissue, by inhibiting the action of monoamine oxidases (MAOs) .
Interestingly, RR extracts and in particular salidroside, have been proven to have therapeutic properties in bingeing-related eating disorders in rat model . Since binge eating was evoked by combining stress and repeated episodes of food restriction, the effects of salidroside on this experimental model could be considered an indirect approach to treat the energy intake.
RR is known to induce PPARδ expression in cardiomyocytes . PPARδ is an homologue of PPARγ, and it plays a role in many tissues such as brain, skin, muscles and adipocytes . PPARβ/δ prevents triglyceride accumulation and increases lipid catabolism in adipocytes . In addition, it increases thermogenesis by up-regulates the expression of HSL and uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) [45,46]. If RR upregulated PPARβ/δ in adipocytes as in cardiomyocytes, this could lead to a reduction in lipogenesis and to an increase of lipolysis.
Although to date there are no evidences that indicate an alteration of lipid metabolism as result of Rhodiola extracts intake, the effects of Rhodiola crenulata root was investigated on metabolic abnormalities in Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) rats. The treatment for 4 weeks with Rhodiola crenulata root containing salidroside, p-tyrosol, trans-caffeic acid and kenposideA, improved glucose and lipid metabolism disorders in ZDF rats .
In evaluating the present knowledge, this interesting adaptogenic plantcould be useful to reduce or prevent adipogenesis and to support weight loss. However scientific researches in vitro at cellular and molecular levels are necessary to explain and confirm the benefits of RR on lipid metabolism and adipogenesis. The full specter of pharmacologically active amounts of rosavin, rosin, and rosarin, not only salidrosine and p-tyrosol, should be determined to obtain reliable results.
- Noomhorm A, Ahmad I, Anal AK (Editors) (2014) Functional Foods and DietarySupplements: Processing Effects and Health Benefits. Wiley-Blackwell, UK.
- Colitti M, Gaspardo B, Della Pria A, Scaini C, Stefanon B (2012) Transcriptome modification of white blood cells after dietary administration of curcumin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug in osteoarthritic affected dogs.Vet ImmunolImmunopathol 147: 136-146.
- Colitti M, Grasso S (2014) Nutraceuticals and regulation of adipocyte life: premises or promises.Biofactors 40: 398-418.
- Yun JW (2010) Possible anti-obesity therapeutics from nature--a review.Phytochemistry 71: 1625-1641.
- Hwang JT, Park IJ, Shin JI, Lee YK, Lee SK, et al. (2005) Genistein, EGCG, and capsaicin inhibit adipocyte differentiation process via activating AMP-activated protein kinase.BiochemBiophys Res Commun 338: 694-699.
- Song SJ, Choi S, Park T (2014) Decaffeinated green coffee bean extract attenuates diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in mice.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014: 718379.
- Takahashi T, Tabuchi T, Tamaki Y, Kosaka K, Takikawa Y, et al. (2009) Carnosic acid and carnosol inhibit adipocyte differentiation in mouse 3T3-L1 cells through induction of phase2 enzymes and activation of glutathione metabolism.BiochemBiophys Res Commun 382: 549-554.
- Verpeut JL, Walters AL, Bello NT (2013) Citrus aurantium and Rhodiolarosea in combination reduce visceral white adipose tissue and increase hypothalamic norepinephrine in a rat model of diet-induced obesity. Nutr Res 33:503-512.
- Kur’yanov AA, Bondarenko LT, Kurkin VA, Zapesochnaya GG, Dubichev AA, et al. (1991) Determination of the biologically active components of the rhizomes of Rhodiolarosea. Chem Nat Comp 27:276-279.
- Panossian A, Wikman G, Sarris J (2010) Rosenroot (Rhodiolarosea): traditional use, chemical composition, pharmacology and clinical efficacy.Phytomedicine 17: 481-493.
- Ishaque S, Shamseer L, Bukutu C, Vohra S (2012) Rhodiolarosea for physical and mental fatigue: a systematic review.BMC Complement Altern Med 12: 70.
- Brown RP, Gerbarg PL, Graham B (2005) The Rhodiola revolution: transform your health with the herbal Breakthrough of the 21st Century. Rodale Press: Emmaus, PA USA.
- Morgan M, Bone K (2005) Rhodiolarosea-Rhodiola. MediHerbNewslett 47:1-4.
- Brown RP, Gerbarg PL, Ramazanov Z (2002) Rhodiolarosea: a phytomedicinal overview. Herbalgram 56:40-52.
- Kelly GS (2001) Rhodiolarosea: a possible plant adaptogen.Altern Med Rev 6: 293-302.
- Ming DS1, Hillhouse BJ, Guns ES, Eberding A, Xie S, et al. (2005) Bioactive compounds from Rhodiolarosea (Crassulaceae).Phytother Res 19: 740-743.
- The Russian Federation Ministry of Health and Medical Industry (1989) Russian National Pharmacopoeia. Moscow, Russia: The Russian Federation Ministry of Health and Medical Industry.
- Russian National Pharmacopoeia (1983) PA 42-2126-83, liquid extract of Rhodiolarosea root and rhizome. Moscow: The Russian Federation Ministry of Health and Medical Industry.
- De Bock K, Eijnde BO, Ramaekers M, Hespel P (2004) Acute Rhodiolarosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance.Int J Sport NutrExercMetab 14: 298-307.
- Olsson EMG, von Schéele B, Panossian AG (2009) A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardised extract shr-5 of the roots of Rhodiolarosea in the treatment of subjects with stress-related fatigue. Planta Med 75:105-112.
- Chen CH, Chan HC, Chu YT, Ho HY, Chen PY, et al. (2009) Antioxidant activity of some plant extracts towards xanthine oxidase, lipoxygenase and tyrosinase.Molecules 14: 2947-2958.
- Calcabrini C, De Bellis R, Mancini U, Cucchiarini L, Potenza L, et al. (2010) Rhodiolarosea ability to enrich cellular antioxidant defences of cultured human keratinocytes.Arch Dermatol Res 302: 191-200.
- Mao GX, Wang Y, Qiu Q, Deng HB, Yuan LG, et al. (2010) Salidroside protects human fibroblast cells from premature senescence induced by H(2)O(2) partly through modulating oxidative status.Mech Ageing Dev 131: 723-731.
- Hu X, Lin S, Yu D, Qiu S, Zhang X, et al. (2010) A preliminary study: the anti-proliferation effect of salidroside on different human cancer cell lines.Cell BiolToxicol 26: 499-507.
- Sun C, Wang Z, Zheng Q, Zhang H (2012) Salidroside inhibits migration and invasion of human fibrosarcoma HT1080 cells.Phytomedicine 19: 355-363.
- Darbinyan V, Aslanyan G, Amroyan E, Gabrielyan E, Malmström C, et al. (2007) Clinical trial of Rhodiolarosea L. extract SHR-5 in the treatment of mild to moderate depression.Nord J Psychiatry 61: 343-348.
- Ross SM (2014) Rhodiolarosea (SHR-5), Part 2: A standardized extract of Rhodiolarosea is shown to be effective in the treatment of mild to moderate depression.Holist NursPract 28: 217-221.
- Yu S, Shen Y, Liu J, Ding F (2010) Involvement of ERK1/2 pathway in neuroprotection by salidroside against hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptotic cell death.J MolNeurosci 40: 321-331.
- Zhong X, Lin R, Li Z, Mao J, Chen L (2014) Effects of Salidroside on cobalt chloride-induced hypoxia damage and mTOR signaling repression in PC12 cells.Biol Pharm Bull 37: 1199-1206.
- Wu T, Zhou H, Jin Z, Bi S, Yang X, et al. (2009) Cardioprotection of salidroside from ischemia/reperfusion injury by increasing N-acetylglucosamine linkage to cellular proteins.Eur J Pharmacol 613: 93-99.
- Cheng YZ, Chen LJ, Lee WJ, Chen MF, Jung Lin H, et al. (2012) Increase of myocardial performance by Rhodiola-ethanol extract in diabetic rats.J Ethnopharmacol 144: 234-239.
- Song EK, Kim JH, Kim JS, Cho H, Nan JX, et al. (2003) Hepatoprotective phenolic constituents of Rhodiolasachalinensis on tacrine-induced cytotoxicity in Hep G2 cells.Phytother Res 17: 563-565.
- Wu YL, Lian LH, Jiang YZ, Nan JX (2009) Hepatoprotective effects of salidroside on fulminant hepatic failure induced by D-galactosamine and lipopolysaccharide in mice.J Pharm Pharmacol 61: 1375-1382.
- Skopńska-Rózewska E, Wójcik R, Siwicki AK, Sommer E, Wasiutyński A, Siwicki AK, Sommer E, WasiutyÅ„ski A, et al. (2008) The effect of Rhodiolaquadrifida extracts on cellular immunity in mice and rats.Pol J Vet Sci 11: 105-111.
- Siwicki AK, Skopinska-Rózewska E, Wasiutynski A, Wójcik R, Zdanowski R, et al. (2012) The effect of Rhodiolakirilowii extracts on pigs’ blood leukocytes metabolic (RBA) and proliferative (LPS) activity, and on the bacterial infection and blood leukocytes number in mice. CentrEur J Immunol 37:145-150.
- Mishra KP, Ganju L, Singh SB (2012) Anti-cellular and immunomodulatory potential of aqueous extract of Rhodiolaimbricata rhizome.ImmunopharmacolImmunotoxicol 34: 513-518.
- Lee OH, Kwon YI, Apostolidis E, Shetty K, Kim YC (2011) Rhodiola-induced inhibition of adipogenesis involves antioxidant enzyme response associated with pentose phosphate pathway.Phytother Res 25: 106-115.
- Zhang BC, Li WM, Guo R, Xu YW (2012) Salidroside decreases atherosclerotic plaque formation in low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012: 607508.
- Wang SH, Wang WJ, Wang XF, Chen WH (2004) [Effects of salidroside on carbohydrate metabolism and differentiation of 3T3-L1 adipocytes].Zhong Xi Yi Jie He XueBao 2: 193-195.
- Abidoff MT (1997) Synergistic effect of Rhodiolarosea and Rhododendron caucasicum herbal supplement on weight loss in healthy female volunteers: placebo controlled clinical study. Grant 77-1997, Moscow (in Russian).
- Ramazanov Z, Mar Bernal Suarez M (1999) New Secret of Effective Natural Stress Weight Management Using RhodiolaRosea and Rhododendron Caucasicum. Georgian Secrets of Longevity, Stress and Natural Weight Management. ATN/Safe Goods Publishing, East Canaan, Connecticut USA.
- van DiermenD, Marston A, Bravo J, Reist M, Carrupt PA, et al. (2009) Monoamine oxidase inhibition by Rhodiolarosea L. roots.J Ethnopharmacol 122: 397-401.
- Cifani C, Micioni Di B MV, Vitale G, Ruggieri V, Ciccocioppo R, et al. (2010) Effect of salidroside, active principle of Rhodiolarosea extract, on binge eating.PhysiolBehav 101: 555-562.
- Peters JM, Lee SS, Li W, Ward JM, Gavrilova O, et al. (2000) Growth, adipose, brain, and skin alterations resulting from targeted disruption of the mouse peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor beta(delta).Mol Cell Biol 20: 5119-5128.
- Wang YX, Lee CH, Tiep S, Yu RT, Ham J, et al. (2003) Peroxisome-proliferator-activated receptor delta activates fat metabolism to prevent obesity.Cell 113: 159-170.
- Barish GD, Narkar VA, Evans RM (2006) PPAR delta: a dagger in the heart of the metabolic syndrome.J Clin Invest 116: 590-597.
- Wang J, Rong X, Li W, Yang Y, Yamahara J, et al. (2012) Rhodiolacrenulata root ameliorates derangements of glucose and lipid metabolism in a rat model of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.J Ethnopharmacol 142: 782-788.