Synergistic Actions of Thyroid-Adipokines Axis during Development
Received Date: Nov 15, 2017 / Accepted Date: Nov 29, 2017 / Published Date: Dec 10, 2017
Letter to Editor
Thyroid hormones (THs) are involved in the programming of early prenatal period [1-37]. Moreover, adipokines [leptin (LEP), resistin (RETN), adiponectin (ADP), inflammatory cytokines [interleukin-6 (IL-6), monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α)], and chemokines [interleukin-8 (IL-8)] play an important role during the fetal development and early life [12,32,33]. THs also control the actions of LEP [8,9], interferon-γ , ADP [8,9,39], TNF-α [8,26], and growth factors [8,28,32,33,35,40,41] by non-genomic mechanisms. Alternatively, LEP, ADP, and TNF-α modulate the functions of thyroid axis and insulin sensitivity . Also, adipokines can regulate the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis (HPTA), thermogenesis, body weight, basal metabolic rate and appetite . The nuclear receptors such as thyroid receptors (TRs), peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α (PPARα), and liver X receptor (LXR) are vital for the triiodothyronine (T3) regulation of cholesterol metabolism and transcription of lipogenic and lipolytic genes . In white adipose tissue (WAT), the expression and secretion of ADP was decreased throughout the pregnancy [13,43]. Moreover, the expression of LEP and RETN was observed in the developing placenta  with reducing the insulin level . Also, the coordination in the secretion these cytokines is involved in the availability of energy during the gestation .
On the other hand, hyperleptinemia was noticed in hypothyroid state [47,48] due to the degradation of leptin [8,14,17,28,49], or stimulation the HPTA in rats [8,14,17,28], canine and human [48,49]. Also, a reduction in the body weight due to the disturbance in the actions of THs, leptin, adiponectin may reflect the decline in the general health during the development [8,17,28,50-53]. In hypothyroidism, LEP and ADP caused a dyslipidemia , particularly atherogenic dyslipidemia . In parallel, Tsuji et al.  stated that there are links between the fetoplacental insufficiency, THs alterations, and immunosuppression. This state might be associated with the cardiovascular dysfunctions . This reduction results from the disruption of the HPTA, the energy expenditure and cytokine networks [8,12,28], and inducing oxidative stress , and cell death . Thus, any disorders in the thyroid-adipokines axis might alter the fetoplacental communications. This can inhibit the passage of maternal nutrients to fetuses and delay the critical development. Further additional studies are needed to detect the signaling of this axis during the gestation in human and animals.
Conflict of Interest
The author declares that no competing financial interests exist.
- Ahmed OM, Abd El-Tawab SM, Ahmed RG (2010) Effects of experimentally induced maternal hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism on the development of rat offspring: I- The development of the thyroid hormones-neurotransmitters and adenosinergic system interactions. Int J DevNeurosci 28: 437-454.
- Ahmed OM, Ahmed RG (2012) Hypothyroidism. In A New Look At Hypothyroidism. Dr. D. Springer (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0020-1), In Tech Open Access Publisher, Chapter 1: 1-20.
- Ahmed OM, Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW, El-Bakry AM, Abd El-Tawaba SM (2012) Effects of experimentally induced maternal hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism on the development of rat offspring: II-The developmental pattern of neurons in relation to oxidative stress and antioxidant defense system. Int J DevNeurosci 30: 517–537.
- Ahmed OM, El-Gareib AW, El-bakry AM, Abd El-Tawab SM, Ahmed RG (2008) Thyroid hormones states and brain development interactions. Int J DevNeurosci 26: 147-209.
- Ahmed RG (2011) Perinatal 2, 3, 7, 8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin exposure alters developmental neuroendocrine system. Food Chem Toxicology 49: 1276-1284.
- Ahmed RG (2012a) Maternal-newborn thyroid dysfunction. In the Developmental Neuroendocrinology, Ed R.G. Ahmed. Germany: LAP LAMBERT p: 1-369.
- Ahmed RG (2012) Maternal-fetal thyroid interactions, Thyroid Hormone, Dr. N.K. Agrawal (Ed.), In Tech Open Access 5: 125-156.
- Ahmed RG (2013) Early weaning PCB 95 exposure alters the neonatal endocrine system: thyroid adipokine dysfunction. J Endocrinol 219: 205-215.
- Ahmed RG (2014) Editorial: Do PCBs modify the thyroid-adipokine axis during development? Annals Thyroid Res 1: 11-12.
- Ahmed RG (2015a) Chapter 1: Hypothyroidism and brain development. In Advances in Hypothyroidism Treatment. Avid Science Borsigstr. 9, 10115 Berlin, Berlin, Germany. Avid Science P: 1-40.
- Ahmed RG (2015a) Hypothyroidism and brain developmental players. Thyroid Research J 8: 1-12.
- Ahmed RG (2015b) Maternofetal thyroid action and brain development. J of Advances in Biology 7: 1207-1213
- Ahmed RG (2015c) Developmental adipokines and maternal obesity interactions. J. of Advances in Biology 7: 1189-1206.
- Ahmed RG (2016b) Gestational dexamethasone alters fetal neuroendocrine axis. Toxicology Letters 258: 46-54.
- Ahmed RG (2016b) Neonatal polychlorinated biphenyls-induced endocrine dysfunction. Ann Thyroid Res 2: 34-35.
- Ahmed RG (2016c) Maternal iodine deficiency and brain disorders. EndocrinolMetabSyndr 5: 223.
- Ahmed RG (2016a) Maternal bisphenol A alters fetal endocrine system: Thyroid adipokine dysfunction. Food Chem Toxicology 95:168-174.
- Ahmed RG (2017c) Developmental thyroid diseases and monoaminergic dysfunction. Advances in Applied Sci 8: 01-10.
- Ahmed RG (2017a) Hyperthyroidism and developmental dysfunction. Arch Med 9: 4.
- Ahmed RG (2017c) Anti-thyroid drugs may be at higher risk for perinatal thyroid disease. EC Pharmacology and Toxicology 4.4: 140-142.
- Ahmed RG (2017b) Perinatal hypothyroidism and cytoskeleton dysfunction. EndocrinolMetabSyndr 6: 271.
- Ahmed RG (2017c) Developmental thyroid diseases and monoaminergic dysfunction. Advances in Applied Sci 8: 01-10.
- Ahmed RG (2017d) Hypothyroidism and brain development. J Anim Res Nut 2: 13.
- Ahmed RG, Abdel-Latif M, Ahmed F (2015b) Protective effects of GM-CSF in experimental neonatal hypothyroidism. Intern Immunopharmacol 29: 538-543.
- Ahmed RG, Abdel-Latif M, Mahdi E, El-Nesr K (2015a) Immune stimulation improves endocrine and neural fetal outcomes in a model of maternofetal thyrotoxicosis. IntImmunopharmacol 29: 714-721.
- Ahmed RG Davis PJ, Davis FB, De Vito P, Farias RN, Luly P, et al. (2013) Nongenomic actions of thyroid hormones: from basic research to clinical applications. Immunol Endocrine Metab Agents in Med Chem 13: 46-59.
- Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW (2014) Lactating PTU exposure: I- Alters thyroid-neural axis in neonatal cerebellum. Eur J of Biol and Medical Sci Res 2: 1-16.
- Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW (2017) Maternal carbamazepine alters fetal neuroendocrine-cytokines axis. Toxicology 382: 59-66.
- Ahmed RG, El-Gareib AW, Incerpi S (2014) Lactating PTU exposure: II- Alters thyroid-axis and prooxidant-antioxidant balance in neonatal cerebellum. Int. Res. J. of Natural Sciences 2: 1-20.
- Ahmed RG, Incerpi S (2013) Gestational doxorubicin alters fetal thyroid–brain axis. Int J Devl Neuroscience 31: 96-104.
- Ahmed RG, Incerpi S, Ahmed F, Gaber A (2013a) The developmental and physiological interactions between free radicals and antioxidant: Effect of environmental pollutants. J of Natural Sci Res 3: 74-110.
- Candelotti E, De Vito P, Ahmed RG, Luly P, Davis PJ, et al. (2015) Thyroid hormones crosstalk with growth factors: Old facts and new hypotheses. ImmunEndocMetab Agents in Med Chem 15: 71-85.
- De Vito P, Candelotti E, Ahmed RG, Luly P, Davis PJ (2015) Role of thyroid hormones in insulin resistance and diabetes. ImmunEndocMetab Agents in Med Chem 15: 86-93.
- El-bakry AM, El-Ghareeb AW, Ahmed RG (2010) Comparative study of the effects of experimentally-induced hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in some brain regions in albino rats. Int J DevNeurosci 28: 371-389.
- El-Ghareeb AA, El-Bakry AM, Ahmed RG, Gaber A (2016) Effects of zinc supplementation in neonatal hypothyroidism and cerebellar distortion induced by maternal carbimazole. Asian J of Applied Sci 4: 1030-1040.
- Incerpi S, Hsieh MT, Lin HY, Cheng GY, De Vito P, et al. (2014) Thyroid hormone inhibition in L6 myoblasts of IGF-I-mediated glucose uptake and proliferation: new roles for integrin αvβ3. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 307: C150–C161.
- Van Herck SLJ, Geysens S, Bald E, Chwatko G, Delezie E, et al. (2013) Maternal transfer of methimazole and effects on thyroid hormone availability in embryonic tissues. Endocrinol 218: 105-115.
- Lin HY, Thacore HR, Davis FB, Davis PJ (1996) Potentiation by thyroxine of interferon-γ-induced antiviral state requires PKA and PKC activities. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 271: C1256-C1261.
- Wang Y, Lam KS, Yau MH, Xu A (2008) Post-translational modifications of adiponectin: mechanisms and functional implications. Biochemical J 409: 623–633.
- Mousa SA, Davis FB, Mohamed S, Davis PJ, Feng X (2006) Pro-angiogenesis action of thyroid hormone and analogs in a three-dimensional in vitro microvascular endothelial sprouting model. IntAngiol 25: 407–413.
- Yu L, Iwasaki T, Xu M, Lesmana R, Xiong Y, Shimokawa N, Chin WW, Koibuchi N (2015) Aberrant cerebellar development of transgenic mice expressing dominant-negative thyroid hormone receptor in cerebellar Purkinje cells. J. Endocrinol. 1-12.
- Mullur R, Liu Y-Y, Brent GA (2014) Thyroid hormone regulation of metabolism. Physiol Rev 94: 355-382.
- Catalano PM, Hoegh M, Minium J, Huston-Presley L, Bernard S, Kalhan S, Hauguel-De Mouzon S (2006) Adiponectin in human pregnancy: implications for regulation of glucose and lipid metabolism. Diabetologia 49: 1677-85.
- Zavalza-Gómez AB, Anaya-Prado R, Rincón-Sánchez AR, Mora-Martínez JM (2008) Adipokines and insulin resistance during pregnancy. Diabetes Res ClinPract 80: 8-15.
- Cortelazzi D, Corbetta S, Ronzoni S, Pelle F, Marconi A, et al. (2007) Maternal and foetal resistin and adiponectin concentrations in normal and complicated pregnancies. ClinEndocrinol 66: 447-53.
- Lyon CJ, Law RE, Hsueh WA (2003) Minireview: adiposity, inflammation, and atherogenesis. Endocrinol 144: 2195-200.
- Chen MD, Song YM, Tsou CT, Lin WH, Sheu WH (2000) Leptin concentration and the Zn/Cu ratio in plasma in women with thyroid disorder. Biol Trace Elem Res 75: 99-105.
- Mazaki-Tovi M, Feuermann Y, Segev G, Klement E, Yas-Natan E, et al. (2010) Increased serum leptin and insulin concentrations in canine hypothyroidism. The Vet J 183: 109-114.
- Houseknecht KL, Mantzoros CS, Kuliawat R, Hadro E, Flier JS, et al. (1996) Evidence for leptin binding to proteins in serum of rodents and humans: modulation with obesity. Diabetes 45: 1638–1643.
- Bossowski A, Sawicka B, Szalecki M, Koput A, Wysocka J, Zelazowska-Rutkowska B (2010) Analysis of serum adiponectin, resistin and leptin levels in children and adolescents with autoimmune thyroid disorders. J PediatrEndocrinolMetab 23: 369-377.
- Fernandes GS, Arena AC, Fernandez CD, Mercadante A, Barbisan LF, et al. (2007) Reproductive effects in male rats exposed to diuron. ReprodToxicol 23: 106-112.
- Qi Y, Takahashi N, Hileman SM, Patel HR, Berg AH, Pajvani UB, et al. (2004) Adiponectin acts in the brain to decrease body weight. Nat Med 10: 524-529.
- Rosenbaum M, Goldsmith R, Bloomfield D, Magnano A, Weimer L, et al. (2005) Low-dose leptin reverses skeletal muscle autonomic and neuroendocrine adaptations to maintenance of reduced weight. J Clin Invest 115: 3579-3586.
- KapralovaIYu, Verbovoy AF (2015) The level of osteoprotegerin and certain adipokines in hypothyroidism. Klin Med 93: 48-52.
- Verbovaia NI, KapralovaIYu, Verbovoĭ AF (2014) The levels of resistin and other adipokines in patients with hypothyroidism. TerArkh. 86: 33-35.
- Tsuji M, Aiko Y, Kawamotoa T, Hachisuga T, Kooriyama C, et al. (2013) Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) decrease the placental syncytiotrophoblast volume and increase Placental Growth Factor (PlGF) in the placenta of normal pregnancy. Placenta 34: 619-623.
- Gómez-Zamudio JH, Mendoza-Zubieta V, Ferreira-Hermosillo A, Molina-Ayala MA, Valladares-Sálgado A, et al. (2016) High Thyroid-stimulating Hormone Levels Increase Proinflammatory and Cardiovascular Markers in Patients with Extreme Obesity. Arch Med Res 47: 476-482.
- Sumathi T, Asha D, Nagarajan G, Sreenivas A, Nivedha R (2016) L-Theanine alleviates the neuropathological changes induced by PCB (Aroclor 1254) via inhibiting upregulation of inflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress in rat brain. Environ. ToxicolPharmacol 42: 99-117.
- Ferrante MC, MattaceRaso° G, Esposito E, Bianco G, Iacono A, et al. (2011) Effects of non-dioxin-like polychlorinated biphenyl congeners (PCB 101, PCB 153 and PCB 180) alone or mixed on J774A.1 macrophage cell line: modification of apoptotic pathway. ToxicolLett 202: 61-68.
Citation: Ahmed RG (2017) Synergistic Actions of Thyroid-Adipokines Axis during Development. Endocrinol Metab Syndr 6: 280. Doi: 10.4172/2161-1017.1000280
Copyright: © 2017 Ahmed RG. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language
Share This Article
April 16-17, 2018 Dubai, UAE
June 04-05, 2018 Baltimore, USA
October 23-24, 2018 Toronto, Canada
October 29-30,2018 San Francisco, USA
October 22-23, 2018 Istanbul, Turkey
- Total views: 648
- [From(publication date): 0-2017 - Aug 19, 2018]
- Breakdown by view type
- HTML page views: 604
- PDF downloads: 44