Treatment Outcome of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients at Tehsil Head Quarter Hospital Dargai
Received Date: Jan 23, 2017 / Accepted Date: Jan 25, 2017 / Published Date: Jan 27, 2017
Even in this modern era Tuberculosis (TB) poses a serious challenge for the world. Due to emerging of resistance strain and coinfection with Human Immuno Deficiency Virus (HIV)/Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) it is difficult to control the disease. Among the 22 high TB burden countries Pakistan ranks 5th, in case of multi drug resistant its position is 27th . In the year 2013, approximately 12997 incident cases of drug resistant TB in which only 1570 (13%) were registered for treatment . Aim of this study was to find out treatment success rate of pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) at Tehsil Head Quarter Dargai, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan from 1st January 2011 to 31st December 2014. A total of 410 PTB patients were enrolled. Of the total cases, 373 (90.98%) were diagnosed as new cases, 17 (4.15%) were relapse cases, 13 (3.17%) were transfer in cases, 7 (1.7%) were others cases while no case of treatment failure and treatment default were recorded. The treatment success rate (cured and treatment completed) was reported 333 (81.22%), 8 (1.95%) cases were died from PTB, only 1 (0.24%) case was failure, 2 (0.49%) cases were default while 4 (0.98%) were transfer out and 62 (15.12%) cases were no record of treatment outcome (Table 1).
|Year||Total||C & Rx||Died||Failure||Defaulted||TO||NR|
|2011||98||92 (93.88)||2 (2.04)||1 (1.02)||-||-||3 (3.06)|
|2012||106||96 (90.57)||1 (0.94)||-||1 (0.94)||1 (0.94)||7 (6.6)|
|2013||106||86 (81.13)||3 (2.83)||-||1 (0.94)||3 (2.83)||13 (12.26)|
|2014||100||59 (59)||2 (2)||-||-||-||39 (39)|
|Total||410||333 (81.22)||8 (1.95)||1 (0.24)||2 (0.49)||4 (0.98)||62 (15.12)|
|C & Rx: Cured and treatment completed, TO: Transfer out, NR: No record|
Table 1: Treatment outcome of registered PTB patients, n (%).
Ahmad et al.  recorded 98.1% treatment success rate at Civil Hospital Barikot Swat. Another study carried by Ahmad and Jadoon,  at Thana District Malakand Pakistan reported 99.17% treatment success rate. A study conducted by Sunday et al.  at Ogbomoso, Southwestern Nigeria reported 85.5% treatment success rate, 95.1% patients treated with CAT-1 and 4.9% treated with CAT- 11 treatment category. A study conducted by Getahun et al.  at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia reported 82.7% treatment success rate. Active case detection, proper treatment, awareness about TB is necessary to control and eliminate the disease. However, the treatment success rate was satisfactory and need more attention and intervention to get rid of this fatal disease.
The author acknowledges the support of THQ Hospital Dargai during the current study.
- WHO Global TB Report, 2013.
- Routine National TB Control Program Data, 2013.
- Ahmad T, Muhammad, Haroon, Majid A, Ullah N,et al. (2016) Treatment Outcomes of Suspected Tuberculosis Patients at Civil Hospital Barikot Swat, Pakistan: (A Case Study). Sci Int(Lahore)28: 423-425.
- Ahmad T, Jadoon MA (2015) Cross Sectional Study of Pulmonary Tuberculosis at Civil Hospital Thana, District Malakand Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Pakistan. World J Zoology10:161-167.
- Sunday O, Oladimeji O, Ebenezer F, Akintunde B, Abiola T, Saliu A, Abiodun O (2014) Treatment Outcome of Tuberculosis Patients Registered at DOTS Centre in Ogbomoso, Southwestern Nigeria: A 4-Year Retrospective Study. Tuberculosis Research and Treatment1-5.
- Getahun B, Ameni G, Medhin G, Biadgilign S (2013) Treatment outcome of tuberculosis patients under directly observed treatment in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Brazil J Infec Dis 17: 521-528.
Citation: Ahmad T (2017) Treatment Outcome of Pulmonary Tuberculoss Patients at Tehsil Head Quarter Hospital Dargai. Lung Dis Treat 3: 119. Doi: 10.4172/2472-1018.1000119
Copyright: © 2017 Ahmad T. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language
Share This Article
- Total views: 487
- [From(publication date): 0-2017 - Dec 15, 2017]
- Breakdown by view type
- HTML page views: 432
- PDF downloads: 55