A Case of Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia Induced by Iatrogenic Adrenaline Overdose
Kota Hoshino*, Yasumasa Kawano, Reiko Yamasaki, Daiki Ohta, Takeshi Nishida and Hiroyasu Ishikura
Department of Emergency & Critical Care Medicine Fukuoka University Hospital, Japan
- *Corresponding Author:
- Kota Hoshino
Department of Emergency & Critical Care
Medicine Fukuoka University Hospital
Jonan-ku, Fukuoka, Japan
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: October 31, 2015; Accepted Date: November 19, 2015; Published Date: November 26, 2015
Citation: Hoshino K, Kawano Y, Yamasaki R, Ohta D, Nishida T, et al. (2015) A Case of Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia Induced by Iatrogenic Adrenaline Overdose. Emergency Med 5:293. doi:10.4172/2165-7548.1000293
Copyright: © 2015 Hoshino K, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Case: The patient was a 19-year-old male. The patient presented anaphylaxis after the administration of
phosphomycin. Adrenaline (1 mg) was intravenously administered to treat his anaphylaxis
. Immediately after the injection of adrenaline, the patient lost pulse and the monitor showed ventricular tachycardia (VT). Spontaneous circulation returned 21 minutes after the onset of VF.
We did not observe arrhythmia on the patient’s monitor during the course of his hospitalization. The cause of this pulseless VT was determined to be an iatrogenic overdose of adrenaline. After 13 days, he was discharged without hypoxic encephalopathy
Safety measures to prevent the incorrect administration of adrenaline
are required as soon as possible. First, medical practitioners need to attend study meetings to address their lack of knowledge in relation to the usage of adrenaline. Second, most emergency carts have adrenaline products (1 mg/ml) for CPA, not for anaphylaxis. An epinephrine autoinjector (EpiPen®) for anaphylaxis should be put into emergency carts.