alexa
Reach Us +441704335730
Adnexectomy Versus Ovarian Conservation During Total Hysterectomy for Benign Conditions. A Difficult Dilemma | OMICS International | Abstract
[Jurnalul de Chirurgie]
ISSN: 1584-9341

Journal of Surgery
Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations
700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Research Article

Adnexectomy Versus Ovarian Conservation During Total Hysterectomy for Benign Conditions. A Difficult Dilemma

Ion Păun1*, Dan Mogoş1, Mariana Păun2, Costin-Daniel Vidrighin1, Mihai Florescu1, Mădălin Teodorescu1, Andrei Costin1, Ecaterina Neamţu1, Ana-Maria Predoi1

1Department of Surgery, Railway University Hospital, Craiova, Romania

2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Craiova County Hospital, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Craiova, Romania

*Corresponding Author:
Ion Păun MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Surgery
4th Surgical Unit, Railway University Hospital Craiova
Str. Ştirbei Vodă, No. 6
Craiova, Romania
Tel: +40(0)0723347572
Fax: +40(0)0251532404
E-mail: [email protected]

Received Date: January 22, 2014; Accepted Date: March 15, 2014; Published Date: September 20, 2014

Citation: Păun I, Mogoş D, Păun M, Vidrighin CD, Florescu M, et al. Adnexectomy Versus Ovarian Conservation During Total Hysterectomy or Benign Conditions. A Difficult Dilemma. Journal of Surgery [Jurnalul de chirurgie] 2014; 10(2): 121-127 [Article in Romanian]. doi: 10.7438/1584-9341-10-2-6

Copyright: © 2014 Păun I, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, hich permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.

Abstract

Introduction: Bilateral adnexectomy is a surgical procedure that is frequently associated with total hysterectomy performed for benign uterine conditions. Given the relatively wide range of indications for the aforementioned type of salpingo-ooforectomy which in it self is not devoid of potential risks the patients' and physicians' decision-making should take into account several parameters (most helpful to individualize treatment) such as published ratio of removal versus conservation of uterine adnexae, patients' age, pre/postmenopausal status at the time of surgery, relevant family and personal history including current use of hormonal replacement therapy.

Materials and Methods: This retrospective cohort study was conducted among 457 women aged 18 years or older who underwent abdominal total hysterectomies for benign uterine conditions between 2000 and 2011. The study patients were stratified by age for better characterization and according to recent publications.

Results: Uni- or bilateral oophorectomy was performed in 50% of the subgroup of hysterectomized women younger than 35 years old whereas in the other half of the same age category of patients the uterine adnexas were conserved. Among the study patients aged between 35 and 45 years in 50.5% of the cases the unilateral type of oophorectomy was undertaken while for the other 49.5% of women the bilateral adnexectomy was the rule. Finally, in all patients older than age 45 years the bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy was the procedure of choice. Moreover, out of the 55 study patients in which at least one ovary was preserved, 30.9% of cases underwent the removal of the remaining adnexa when affected de novo by malignant (n=3) or benign (n=14) pathology. Last but not least, in order to reduce both cancer risks and early menopause hazards, our analysis based on recent literature attempted to identify patient characteristics (relevant factors) associated with or without bilateral oophorectomy at the time of benign hysterectomy and to estimate modern trends in the performance of oophorectomy.

Conclusion: When considering options for treatment of benign conditions of the uterus both physicians and patients should ponder carefully the risk/benefit ratio of salpingo-oophorectomy according to each patient clinical profile.

Keywords

Top