Button Battery Ingestion in Children: Experience in Kurdistan Center for Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- *Corresponding Author:
- Aram Baram, Assistant Professor
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Faculty of Medical Sciences
University of Sulaimani, François Mitterrand Street
Sulaymaniyah 46001, Iraq
E-mail: [email protected]
Received Date: July 24, 2015; Accepted Date: August 29, 2015; Published Date: August 31, 2015
Citation: Hamawandi AMH, Baram A, Karboli TA, Anwar A (2015) Button Battery Ingestion in Children: Experience in Kurdistan Center for Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Pediat Therapeut 5:258. doi:10.4172/2161-0665.1000258
Copyright: © 2015 Hamawandi AMH, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Background: The vast majority of button battery (BB) ingestions occur when curious children explore their environment. Button batteries do not usually cause problems unless they become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract.
Objective: To report our experience of button battery ingestion in children focusing on clinical characteristics, management, and outcomes.
Patients and methods: Between January 2006 to June 2015 all cases of BB ingestion presented to the Kurdistan center for Gastroenterology and Hepatology (KCGH), Sulaimani, Iraq, were reviewed retrospectively. The diagnosis based on history, clinical examination and results of imaging studies. The clinical data reviewed included gender, age, clinical manifestation, hospital course, imaging findings and endoscopic findings.
Results: Twenty children with button battery ingestion referred to KCGH; 12 male and 8 female patients with age range of 10 months to 70 months and the mean age of 28 months. Seven patients passed the batteries spontaneously in the stool without harm within 2-5 days. In13 patient batteries were retrieved endoscopically from the esophagus in 7 patients and from the stomach in 6 patients. The endoscopic findings in the 7 patients in whom the button batteries were in the esophagus were; severe injury in 5 patients, mild injury in 2 patients; there was perforation of the esophagus in 4 patients associated with Tracheoesophageal Fistula in three patients.
Conclusion: Severe injury can occur rapidly following BB ingestion particularly when they are lodged in the esophagus. A high index of suspicion for a BB is necessary to avoid life-threatening sequel. Emergency endoscopic retrieval is required in these situations.