alexa Distribution of Eight Vitamin E Homologs Found in 81 Plants Using LC-MS3 | OMICS International| Abstract

ISSN: 2155-9600

Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences

  • Short Communication   
  • J Nutr Food Sci 2017, Vol 7(6): 636
  • DOI: 10.4172/2155-9600.1000636

Distribution of Eight Vitamin E Homologs Found in 81 Plants Using LC-MS3

Inoue T1*, Honma S1, Otsuka Y1, Nakane T2, Takano A3, Gamo Y4, Hashidume F5, Yuasa H4, Nakanishi Y5 and Hirahara Y6
1Ochanomizu University, 2-1-1 Ohtsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8610, Japan
2Laboratory of Phytochemistry, Showa Pharmaceutical University, 3-3165 Higashi Tamagawagakuen, Machida, Tokyo 194-8543, Japan
3Medicinal Plant Garden, Showa Pharmaceutical University, 3-3165 Higashi Tamagawagakuen, Machida, Tokyo 194-8543, Japan
4The Research Institute of Evolutionary Biology, 4-28, Kamiyouga 2, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, 158- 0098, Japan
5Department of International Agricultural Development, Tokyo University of Agriculture, 1-1-1 Sakuragaoka, Setagaya, Tokyo 156-8502, Japan
6Kinki Regional Bureau, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Ooebiru 7F, 1-1-22 Nouninbashi, Chou Ward, Oosaka City, 540-0011, Japan
*Corresponding Author : Inoue T, Ochanomizu University, 2-1-1 Ohtsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan, Tel: +81(48)740 0761, Fax: +81(48)601 1335, Email: [email protected]

Received Date: Sep 20, 2017 / Accepted Date: Oct 05, 2017 / Published Date: Oct 15, 2017

Abstract

To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to use liquid chromatography/multistage mass spectrometry to demonstrate the distribution of eight vitamin E homologs in plants. Many tocopherol homologs, which showed higher antioxidant activity than tocotrienol homologs, were discovered and α-tocopherol, which had the highest antioxidant activity among these homologs, was widely distributed in all plants. In addition, α-tocopherol occurred at high concentrations in the leaves of plants belonging to the sumac family, which is native to tropical regions. Furthermore, 25.9% of plants contained α-tocopherol alone, whereas the remaining 74.1% contained α-tocopherol in combination with other homologs. The detection frequency was the highest for a combination of α-tocopherol and γ-tocopherol, which is a precursor of α-tocopherol in plants. The highest number of vitamin E homologs was found in leaves, followed by stems, flowers, branches, and buds. Furthermore, tocotrienol homologs were present only in leaves. This indicates that the distribution of homologs in plants reflects the intensity of the antioxidant activity of homologs. It also suggests that the distribution of α-tocopherol in combination with γ-tocopherol is influenced by the α-tocopherol synthetic pathway in plants.

Keywords: Antioxidant activity; LC-MS3; Tocopherol homologs; Tocotrienol homologs; Vitamin E

Citation: Inoue T, Honma S, Otsuka Y, Nakane T, Takano A, et al. (2017) Distribution of Eight Vitamin E Homologs Found in 81 Plants Using LC-MS3. J Nutr Food Sci 7: 636. Doi: 10.4172/2155-9600.1000636

Copyright: © 2017 Inoue T, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Post Your Comment
Share This Article
Relevant Topics
Recommended Conferences
  • 21st World Congress on Nutrition & Food Sciences

    July 09-10, 2018 Sydney, Australia

  • World Congress on Nutraceuticals and Natural Medicine

    July 18-19, 2018, Czech Republic, Prague Prague, Czech Republic

  • 7th International Conference and Exhibition on Probiotics, Functional and Baby Foods

    July 18-19, 2018, Czech Republic, Prague Prague, Czech Republic

  • 14th International Congress on Advances in Natural Medicines, Nutraceuticals & Neurocognition

    July 19-20, 2018 London, UK

  • 28th World Nutrition Congress

    August 9- 10 2018 Manila, Philippines

  • 6th International Conference on Sports Nutrition & Fitness

    August 06-07, 2018 Tokyo, Japan

  • 27th World Congress on Diet, Nutrition and Obesity

    September 7- 8, 2018 Auckland, Newzealand

  • 17th World Congress on Nutrition and Food Chemistry

    September 13-15, 2018 London, UK

  • 8th Annual Congress on Probiotics & Functional Foods

    September 24-25, 2018 Tokyo, Japan

Viewmore
Article Usage
  • Total views: 1075
  • [From(publication date): 0-2017 - May 24, 2018]
  • Breakdown by view type
  • HTML page views: 1022
  • PDF downloads: 53
Leave Your Message 24x7