alexa Doctor to Patient Ratio and Infrastructure Gap in a Psy
ISSN: 2378-5756

Journal of Psychiatry
Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Research Article

Doctor to Patient Ratio and Infrastructure Gap in a Psychiatric Hospital in Oil Rich Eket, Nigeria

Uche Adolphus Nwaopara*

Psychiatric Hospital Eket, Nigeria

*Corresponding Author:
Uche Adolphus Nwaopara
Psychiatric HospitalEket, No 19 Egbelu Street Rumuodara
Port Harcourt, Rivers 234, Nigeria
E-mail: [email protected]

Received Date: September 25, 2015; Accepted Date: March 05, 2016; Published Date: March 12,2016

Citation:Nwaopara UA (2016) Doctor to Patient Ratio and InfrastructureGap in a Psychiatric Hospital in Oil Rich Eket, Nigeria. J Psychiatry 19:356doi:10.4172/2378-5756.1000356

Copyright: © 2016 Nwaopara UA . This is an open-access article distributed underthe terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricteduse, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author andsource are credited.



Background: In an oil rich city, profound shortfalls in the human resources and basic infrastructure, needed for adequate mental health care is dehumanizing and unacceptable.
Aims: To bring to global attention, the population-provider ratio, the wide mismatch between the doctors and infrastructure available to patients and the implications of such mental health gap.
Method: In this cross sectional retrospective study, 870 patients who presented to the center over a 3-month period (May-July) were reviewed. The Federal Ministry of Health, National Health management Information System, Health Facility Daily Attendance Register (Version 2013) was used to review the patients in terms of outpatient, inpatient, specialist medical care and outcome. The Hospital Inpatient Facilities Checklist (for Psychiatric Units), was used to access the level of facilities and compliance to standards at this center. Data analysis was done using SPSS Version 17.
Results: In a 74-bed hospital, there were 6 (8.1%) beds, leaving a shortfall of 68 (91.9%) beds with bed to population ratio of 3:100,000 (critical bed shortage, <12 per 100,000), with many patients lying on the bare floor. The bed to population ratio was 3:100,000. The doctor/patient ratio was 1:870 (One Psychiatrist) or 1:435 (medical officer + psychiatrist) and a psychiatrist to population ratio of 0.48 per 100,000. Psychiatric presentations were commoner among females 51.4%. The most prevalent psychiatric disorder was Schizophrenia with 401 (46.09%) patients. The prevalence of Mental and Behavioral disorder was 9.08 (9.1%). Other factors were no toilet facilities, laundry services with huge public health implications.
Conclusions: Research findings show resource gaps. This mismatch of disease burden with extant resources is evidence of failure in systemic health delivery and failure of corporate social responsibility. A reversal of this ugly trend will help to improve efficiency in service delivery as well as optimize patient care and reduce the treatment gap.


Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading Please wait..
Peer Reviewed Journals
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version