Effects of Photoactivation in Bleaching with Hydrogen Peroxide. Spectrophotometric Evaluation
- *Corresponding Author:
- Marco Cicciù
Department of Oral Surgery
Dental School, Messina University
Via Consolare Valeria 98100, Messina, Italy
Tel: 0039 090 221 6920
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date November 10, 2011; Accepted date November 21, 2011; Published date November 22, 2011
Citation: Lo Giudice G, Cicciù D, Cervino G, Lizio A, Panarello C, et al. (2011) Effects of Photoactivation in Bleaching with Hydrogen Peroxide.Spectrophotometric Evaluation. Dentistry 1:111. doi:10.4172/2161-1122.1000111
Copyright: © 2011 Lo Giudice G, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Objective: Purpose of this study is to point out the effectiveness of a bleaching technique consisting of hydrogen peroxide 38% applied with and without photo-activation with a LED lamp.
Study design: Nine groups, each consisting of two adjacent teeth extracted from the same patient for periodontal disease, have been involved in the study. Similar features in color characterized all teeth considered. The first tooth of each couple was treated by the use of the LED lamp (KromaOgna WS25 T) and the second one without photoactivation. The bleaching agent consist of a gel made of hydrogen peroxide 38%, oxalic acid and ortho-phosphoric acid and a gel activator composed of strontium chloride and calcium hydroxide.
Results: The analysis of colorimetric values underlines how bleached teeth treated with photo activation showed a 67% of positive changes in color while the remaining 33% did not go through any variation.
Conclusion: The data of the study clearly evidence that the use of the LED lamp for the whitening procedure increases the effectiveness of the bleaching material if compared to the technique with no photo-activation.