Identification of Commonly Used Anthelmintic Drugs and Evaluation of their Utilization in University of Gondar Veterinary ClinicChalachew Kassahun1, Ahmed Adem1, Mebrie Zemene1*, Gashaw Getaneh2 and Kassahun Berrie1
- *Corresponding Author:
- Mebrie Zemene
Lecturer, Department of Veterinary Pharmacy
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
University of Gondar, Gondar
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: July 12, 2016; Accepted date: August 31, 2016; Published date: September 05, 2016
Citation: Kassahun C, Adem A, Zemene M, Getaneh G, Berrie K (2016) Identification of Commonly Used Anthelmintic Drugs and Evaluation of their Utilization in University of Gondar Veterinary Clinic. J Vet Sci Technol 7: 381. doi: 10.4172/2157-7579.1000381
Copyright: © 2016 Kassahun C, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
A retrospective study was conducted from March, 2016 to June, 2016 in University of Gondar veterinary clinic to identify commonly used anthelmintic drugs and to assess the pattern of anthelmintic utilization. Data on 557 anthelmintics was collected from case registration books written for the last two years and three months (from January 01, 2014 to March 30, 2016). Out of the total anthelmintics (557), 285 (51.2%) albendazole, 214 (38.4%) ivermectin, 24 (4.3%) mebendazole, 22 (3.9%) fenbendazole, 7 (1.3%) triclabendazole, 4 (0.7%) tetramizole and 1 (0.2%) praziquantel were utilized. 44.3% of the anthelmintics were prescribed to treat diseases that were tentatively diagnosed as nonparasitic cases. Out of the total anthelmintics utilized, 253 (45.4%) were given for bovine. 227 (40.8%) and 330 (59.2%) of the anthelmintics were prescribed for young and adult animals respectively. 395 (70.0%) and 167 (30.0%) of the anthelmintics were also given for animals with poor body condition and good body condition, respectively. 9.5%, 34.6%, 31.8%, and 24.1% of the anthelmintics were utilized in winter, spring, summer and autumn, respectively. 513 (92.1%) of the anthelmintics were prescribed to treat diseases that were diagnosed empirically. The remaining 44 (7.9%) were prescribed based on definitive (laboratory- supported) diagnosis. The total number of anthelmintics was prescribed by generic name. Out of the total anthelmintics, 385 (69.1%) were prescribed in combination with other drugs. The findings had shown that problems of correct diagnosis, repeated use of the same class of anthelmintics for long period and prescription of anthelmintics for nonparasitic diseases. Therefore, sound veterinary diagnosis before considering the use of anthelmintics and rotation of anthelmintics between classes should be practiced.