Identifying Opportunities and Constraints of Beekeeping: The Case of Gambella Zuria and Godere Weredas, Gambella Regional State, Ethiopia
Shibru D*, Asebe G and Megersa E
Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture and Natural Resource, Gambella University, P.O. Box 126, Gambella, Ethiopia
- *Corresponding Author:
- Shibru D
Department of Animal Science
College of Agriculture and Natural Resource
Gambella University, P.O. Box 126
E-mail: [email protected]
Received date: May 24, 2016 ; Accepted date: July 19, 2016 ; Published date: July 25, 2016
Citation: Shibru D, Asebe G, Megersa E (2016) Identifying Opportunities and Constraints of Beekeeping: The Case of Gambella Zuria and Godere Weredas, Gambella Regional State, Ethiopia. Entomol Ornithol Herpetol 5:182. doi: 10.4172/2161-0983.1000182
Copyright: © 2016 Shibru D, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
The study was aimed at identifying opportunities and constraints of beekeeping in Gambella zuria (Abol) and Godere weredas, South West Ethiopia. Formal and informal survey methods were used to collect information of secondary data and response on structured questionnaires from May 2014 to July 2014. One hundred twenty households were selected, 60 from Abol and 60 from Godere weredas. Principle of sample proportionality were used to select sample respondents from each selected kebeles in the weredas, in which from Pukong (Abol) area 19 (15.8%), Koben (Bonga) area 41 (34.2%), Gelesha (Godere) area 29 (24.2%) and Chemi (Godere) area 31 (25.8%) respondents were sampled. All the interviewed household heads were male headed. Almost 52.5% of respondents attended primary and junior school level education. The major opportunities to engage on honeybee beekeeping were high existence of honeybee colony (19.2%), Socio economic value (17.7%), availability of honey bee flora (17.2%), enough water sources for bees (16.6%), market demand of honey & bee products (15.2%) and Experienc of beekeeping (14.07%). Among respondents, nearly 95.8% of them sold their honey immediately after harvest whereas remaining 4.2% store for home consumptions, for beverage making and sell few weeks later after harvesting. The identified major constraints of honeybee beekeeping in the districts were insufficient visit to apiary and bee management skills (51.1%), bee enemies (14.3%), drought and wild burning (13.1%), absconding and migration of bee colony (12.3%), poison plant in the area (4.9%) and poison chemical spraying (4.3%). Generally, the high potential is manifested with abundance of honeybee swarm, availability of honeybee flora, socio economic value of honeybee, demand of honeybee product in market and experience of honey beekeeper in the areas. These potentials were under exploited due to existence of constraints requiring immediate intervention, particularly on improved technology introduction and frequent upgrading of knowledge and skill of beekeeper.