Morphometric Definition of Alzheimer's Disease Stages by Means of The Tomography Dementia Rating Scale (TDR)
Received Date: Jun 29, 2017 / Accepted Date: Jul 31, 2017 / Published Date: Aug 05, 2017
Background: The research is dedicated to developing an objective method for determining dementia severity in patients with different AD stages. The method is based on morphometric analysis of specific atrophic changes in temporal lobes detected during cerebral CT and MRI and it allows differentiating these particular changes from those common for other cerebral neurodegenerative diseases.
Materials and Methods: 1105 patients aged 28 years to 81 years (mean age 75) were examined: 786 men (71.13%), 319 women (28.61%), 93 had different AD stages-test group, 1012 had another neurodegenerative diseasescontrol group.
Results: The scale of dementia stages during AD, Tomography Dementia Rating Scale (TDR), was developed, allowing to determine dementia severity with objective, morphometrically grounded data of atrophic changes in temporal lobes obtained during CT and MRI:
1. Preclinical AD stage-TDR-0: results from atrophic changes in temporal lobes with 4% to 8% tissue mass decrease and cognitive functions decline equal to 26 to 28 MMSE points.
2. Early AD stage-TDR-1: mild dementia resulting from atrophic changes in temporal lobes with 9% to 18% tissue mass decrease, corresponds to CDR-1, is accompanied by cognitive functions decline equal to 20 to 25 MMSE points.
3. Middle AD stage-TDR-2: moderate dementia resulting from atrophic changes in temporal lobes with 19% to 32% tissue mass decrease, corresponds to CDR-2, cognitive functions decline is equal to 12 to 19 MMSE points.
4. Late AD stage-TDR-3: severe dementia resulting from atrophic changes in temporal lobes with 33% to 62% tissue mass decrease, corresponds to CDR-3, cognitive functions decline is equal to MMSE 7 to 11 points.
5. Control group patients did not have any similar changes.
Conclusion: The proposed objective, morphometrically validated TDR scale allows to identify preclinical and clinical AD stages; it is easy to use and is complementary to the clinical dementia rating scale. Besides, this scale makes it possible to differentiate AD from other neurodegenerative diseases.
Keywords: Alzheimer's disease; Dementia; Preclinical Alzheimer’s disease; Stages of AD; Hippocampus; TDR; CDR; Atrophy of the temporal lobes of the brain
Citation: Maksimovich IV (2017) Morphometric Definition of Alzheimer's Disease Stages by Means of The Tomography Dementia Rating Scale (TDR). Brain Disord Ther 6: 238. Doi: 10.4172/2168-975X.1000238
Copyright: © 2017 Maksimovich IV. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language
Share This Article
7th International Conference on Brain and Neurological Disorders
April 10-12, 2018 Amsterdam, Netherlands
6th International Conference on Brain Disorders and Therapeutics
September 13-15, 2018 Copenhagen, Denmark
International Conference on Brain Disorders and Dementia Care
September 21-22, 2018 Philadelphia, USA
Brain-2018[World Brain Congress]
December 5-7, 2018 Dubai, UAE
- Total views: 393
- [From(publication date): 0-2017 - Mar 23, 2018]
- Breakdown by view type
- HTML page views: 365
- PDF downloads: 28