alexa SCANNING AND ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDY OF CANINE MEGA


Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Research Article

SCANNING AND ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDY OF CANINE MEGAESOPHAGUS AND ITS MANAGEMENT

R.V.Suryawanshi1, K.B.P. Raghavender1, V.Gireeshkumar1 and M.Laxman2
  1. Department of Veterinary Surgery & Radiology, College of Veterinary Science, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad-500030.Andhra Pradesh. India
  2. Department of Veterinary Pathology, Ruska laboratories, CVSc, Hyderabad-030
Related article at Pubmed, Scholar Google
 
To read the full article Peer-reviewed Article PDF image

Abstract

The present clinical study was carried on 18 clinical cases of megaesophagus reported to Campus Veterinary Hospital. The disease was encountered in Labrador (2 dogs), Golden Retriever (2 Dogs), German Shepherd (5 Dogs), Doberman (2 Dogs), Mongrel (3 Dogs), Pomeranian (2 Dogs), Cocker Spaniel (1 Dog) and Boxer (1 Dog) breeds of dogs. The mean age of occurrence was found to be 6.25 ± 0.88 years. Out of these 18 dogs, 11 were found to be males (61.12 %) and the rest were females (7 dogs; 38.88%). All these 18 dogs showed the signs of regurgitation of the food soon after food consumption. The haematological and biochemical studies showed that all the parameters studied were with in the normal range, except for haemoglobin. Ultrasonography did not reveal any sort of esophageal pathology. Radiographic features of megaesophagus in the seven dogs were air filled dilated esophagus and tracheoesophageal stripe sign. Esophagography clearly revealed generalized distention of esophagus in all the 18 dogs while endoscopy revealed markedly dilated, flaccid esophagus. Among the three treatment regimens tested, Metoclopramide combined with feeding the dogs in an upright position from an elevated platform improved the esophageal function to the maximum extent. Post mortem examination of the seven dogs died or euthanized showed severe dilatation and thinning of the esophageal wall, while histopathological examination showed scanty muscle bundles, Infiltration of polymorphonuclear. Scanning electron microscopy revealed destruction of blood vessels, loss of normal architecture and direction of inner circular as well as outer longitudinal muscle fibers while, transmission electron microscopic examination showed complete loss of cellular architecture, complete loss of architecture of myoneuronal plate at the neuromuscular junction suggestive of megaesophagus is a neuromuscular disorder.

Keywords

Recommended Journals

Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading
Loading Please wait..
Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords