alexa The Relationship of Alcohol and Other Drug Use Typologies to Sex Risk Behaviors among Vulnerable Women in Cape Town, South Africa | OMICS International| Abstract
ISSN 2155-6113

Journal of AIDS & Clinical Research
Open Access

Like us on:

Our Group organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations
700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)
  • Research Article   
  • J AIDS Clin Res 2012, Vol 3(1): 015
  • DOI: 10.4172/2155-6113.S1-015

The Relationship of Alcohol and Other Drug Use Typologies to Sex Risk Behaviors among Vulnerable Women in Cape Town, South Africa

Wendee M Wechsberg1,2,3,4*, Bronwyn Myers5,6, Tracy L Kline7, Tara Carney8, Felicia A Browne9 and Scott P Novak10
1Senior Director, Substance Abuse Treatment and Interventions Research, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
2Adjunct Professor, Health Policy and Administration, Gillings School of Global Public Health, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
3Adjunct Professor, Psychology in the Public Interest, North Carolina State University (NCSU), Raleigh, NC, USA
4Adjunct Associate Professor, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC, USA
5Chief Specialist Scientist, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council, Francie Van Zijl Drive, Parow, South Africa
6Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, Anzio road Cape Town, South Africa
7Research Psychometrician, Statistics and Epidemiology, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
8Senior Scientist, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council, Francie Van Zijl Drive, Parow, South Africa
9Doctoral Student, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, 677 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA, USA
10Senior Research Scientist Behavioral Health Epidemiology, RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
*Corresponding Author : Wendee M Wechsberg, Senior Director, Substance Abuse Treatment, Evaluations & Interventions Research, RTI International 3040 Cornwallis Road, USA, Tel: 9195416422, Fax: 919-485-5555, Email: [email protected]

Received Date: Apr 26, 2012 / Accepted Date: Jul 14, 2012 / Published Date: Jul 20, 2012

Abstract

Background: Alcohol and other drug (AOD) use remains an important contributing factor to the spread of HIV in South Africa, mainly because of the strong associations found between AOD use and sex risk behaviors. Specifically, AOD use can lead to disinhibition and impaired judgment that may result in inconsistent condom use and other risky sex behaviors among vulnerable and disempowered women.
Methods: Latent Class Analysis was used to identify AOD use typologies among 720 vulnerable women from a randomized trial baseline assessment in Cape Town, South Africa and to examine whether these AOD use classes predict sex risk for HIV.
Results: Three classes emerged with distinct differences in AOD use: the Marijuana and Alcohol class (34.6%) mainly comprised participants who used marijuana and drank alcohol frequently; the High AOD Risk class (26.1%) mainly comprised participants who used methamphetamine and marijuana, reported heavy drinking, and moderate probabilities of Mandrax use; and the Polydrug use class (39.3%) predominately comprised participants who used methamphetamine, marijuana, and Mandrax. Participants in the Marijuana and Alcohol class were less likely to report past-month unprotected sex with their main sex partner compared with participants in the Polydrug Use class. When examining the adjusted model, Black African women were significantly less likely to report past-month unprotected sex with their main sex partner compared with Coloured women.Women who were HIV negative were more likely to report unprotected sex with their main sex partner than women who were HIV positive.
Conclusion: The fewer substances that women used seemed to serve as protective factors against engaging in AOD-impaired sex. This study provides an important contribution to understand the intersection of AOD use and sexual risk for HIV by measuring polydrug use among vulnerable women and its association with sexual risk taking.

Keywords: Alcohol and other drug use; Women; Sex risk; Latent class analysis; South Africa

Citation: Wechsberg WM, Myers B, Kline TL, Carney T, Browne FA, et al. (2012) The Relationship of Alcohol and Other Drug Use Typologies to Sex Risk Behaviors among Vulnerable Women in Cape Town, South Africa. J AIDS Clinic Res S1:015. Doi: 10.4172/2155-6113.S1-015

Copyright: © 2012 Wechsberg WM, et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.

Select your language of interest to view the total content in your interested language

Post Your Comment Citation
Share This Article
Recommended Conferences
Article Usage
  • Total views: 12328
  • [From(publication date): 0-2012 - Feb 18, 2020]
  • Breakdown by view type
  • HTML page views: 8533
  • PDF downloads: 3795
Top