Toxic hepatitis occurs when the liver develops inflammation because of exposure to a toxic substance. Toxic hepatitis may also develop when you take too much of a prescription or over-the-counter medication. Symptoms like jaundice, itching, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting often go away when exposure to the toxin stops. Toxic hepatitis can permanently damage your liver, leading to irreversible scarring of liver tissue (cirrhosis) and in some cases to liver failure. The incidence was 4.11 per 100,000 inhabitants and about 10-25% cases of hepatitis are due to adverse reactions to drugs.
A liver biopsy can help confirm the diagnosis of toxic hepatitis. People with severe symptoms are likely to receive supportive therapy in the hospital, including intravenous fluids and medication to relieve nausea and vomiting. Patients with irreversible damage to the liver may require liver transplant. Therapy is recommended for patients with fibrosis, hepatic decompensation, and hepatocellular carcinoma. A thorough medication history in all patients presenting with abnormal hepatic function tests must be taken before prescribing drugs. Patients should be advised to take prescription and nonprescription drugs only when absolutely necessary.