alexa A Study Of Visual Impairment Among Primary School Children In Herat Province Of Afghanistan
ISSN: 2155-9570

Journal of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology
Open Access

Like us on:
OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading
Loading Please wait..
 

2nd Global Pediatric Ophthalmology Congress
June 05-06, 2017 Milan, Italy

Aziz-ur-Rahman Niazi and Sayed Farooq Hossaini
Herat University, Afghanistan
Posters & Accepted Abstracts: J Clin Exp Ophthalmol
DOI: 10.4172/2155-9570-C1-061
Abstract
Background: Visual impairment has a significant impact on public health and socio-economic status of a country. Assessment of visual acuity and early detection of visual impairment in children leads to significant visual improvement and an increase in their quality of life. Aim: This study aims to analyze the magnitude of visual impairment among primary school children in Herat province of Afghanistan. Methods: This study assessed the magnitude of visual impairment among school children aged between 5 to 10 years, in Herat province of Afghanistan. The vision of school children were examined for visual acuity using standard Snellen chart. Statistical analyses were performed in statistiXL computer package. Results: A total of 2847 students were examined, of which 1878 (65.96%) were male and 969 (34.04%) were female. Of the children under study, 75 (2.63%) were five, 336 (11.80%) were six, 862 (30.28%) were seven, 775 (27.22%) were eight, 661 (23.22%) were nine and 138 (4.85%) were ten years old. Of 2847 children under study, 2158 (75.80%) had unaided visual acuity of 6/6 or better, and the remaining 689 (24.20%) had unaided visual acuity of 6/9 or worse. Of those with visual impairment, significantly higher number were suffering from 6/9 vision (p=0.00). A decrease in the number of low-vision children was noted with increasing visual impairment. Only one student had unaided visual acuity of 6/60. Significantly higher rate of visual impairment was found in girls and children aged 7-9 years old. Conclusion: One in every three girls and one in every five boys aged between 5-10 years were suffering from visual impairment in Herat province of Afghanistan. Hence, it can be concluded that this problem is more prevalent in children aged between 7 to 9 years.
Biography

Email: [email protected]

image PDF   |   image HTML
 
Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords