alexa Artesunate/amodiaquine-induced Acute Extrapyramidal Reactions In Children And Younger Adults: Case Series Assessment | 68922
ISSN: 2329-6887

Journal of Pharmacovigilance
Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations
700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

9th International Conference and Exhibition on Pharmacovigilance & Drug Safety

Mulugeta Russom, Dawit Tesfai, Semere Gebregiorgis, Abdulmumini Usman, Selam Mihreteab, Iyassu Bahta, Elsa Mekonnen, Selamawit Ghebrehiwet and Gelila Abrham
Ministry of Health, Eritrea
Asmara College of Health Sciences, Eritrea
World Health Organization, Eritrea
Posters & Accepted Abstracts: J Pharmacovigil
DOI: 10.4172/2329-6887-C1-027
Abstract
Introduction & Aim: Several studies conducted in African countries reported the artesunate and amodiaquine (AS/AQ) tablet as a safe and well-tolerated anti-malarial drug in children and younger adults. The Eritrean Pharmacovigilance Centre, however, received 43 acute extrapyramidal reactions associated with the AS/AQ tablet. The aim of this case series assessment was to assess the causal relationship between the AS/AQ and extrapyramidal reactions in children and younger adults and to investigate the factor(s) predisposing to the adverse drug reactions. Methods: The causal relationship of all the cases was first assessed individually using the Naranjo Probability Scale and then subjected to a case series assessment using Austin Bradford–Hill criteria. Results: A total of 43 acute extrapyramidal reactions associated with the AS/AQ tablet were reported between 2012 and 16 November, 2015 to the Eritrean Pharmacovigilance Centre. The causality was found to be probable or highly probable for 33 (76.7%) of the cases and the rest (10; 23.3%) of the cases had a possible causal association. The extrapyramidal reactions had more or less similar clinical features in most of the cases and were characterized by abnormal involuntary contractions of muscles. The median age and body weight of the cases were 15 years and 40 kg, respectively, and 70% of them were males. 90.7% of the reactions manifested in children and younger adults (aged 26 years). In most of the cases, reactions manifested in the third day from the start of treatment and 88.3% of cases were hospitalized. Conclusion: The causal relationship between the AS/AQ tablet and extrapyramidal reactions in children and younger adults were found to be apparent and possibly owing to dose accumulation or an overdose of amodiaquine and/or genetic polymorphism.
Biography

Email: [email protected]

image PDF   |   image HTML
 

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2018-19
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri & Aquaculture Journals

Dr. Krish

[email protected]

+1-702-714-7001Extn: 9040

Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9040

Clinical Journals

Datta A

clinicalj[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Food & Nutrition Journals

Katie Wilson

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science

Andrea Jason

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics & Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Materials Science Journals

Rachle Green

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Nursing & Health Care Journals

Stephanie Skinner

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

Ann Jose

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

 
© 2008- 2018 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
Leave Your Message 24x7