alexa Effect Of Chewing Herbal Leaves On Oral Microflora And Halitosis | 37312
ISSN: 2247-2452

Oral Health and Dental Management
Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations
700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Effect of chewing herbal leaves on oral microflora and halitosis

5th American Dental Congress

Arpit Singh1 and Seerat Singh Sekhon2

1Dental College and Research Institute, India 2Shaheed Kartar Singh Sarabha Dental College, India

Posters-Accepted Abstracts: Oral Health Dent Manag

DOI: 10.4172/2247-2452.C1.016

Abstract
Halitosis is one of the most common complaints of patients reporting to the dental offices, which have affected a large proportion of population especially in the developing countries. Most common cause of malodor is related to the indigenous microflora of sub gingival areas and related tongue coating in the oral cavity. Approximately 90% of oral malodor originates from oral cavity while remaining 10% is from systemic and non-oral routes. In rural and suburban areas of the developing countries, chewing of twigs and barks of some trees is the common practice of cleaning teeth to get rid of fast developing microorganisms. The present study was therefore conducted to evaluate the effects of chewing herbal leaves and ginger bits on reducing the microbial count to control halitosis. This study was carried on groups of volunteer subjects who were asked to chew 6-7 leaves of basil (Tulsi), mint, mango, ginger bits and curry leaves daily for 7 days revealed increased pH values immediately and 30 minutes after chewing. Maximum reduction in the microbial count (about 95%) was observed with basil leaves followed by mint, ginger, curry and mango respectively. Microbial count recorded as c fu/ml on nutrient agar medium was obtained using serial dilution techniques. Zones of inhibition formed against isolated oral microbes with aqueous solution of these herbal leaves also showed the same results when studied by agar diffusion method.
Biography

Arpit Singh is a 5th year Intern Doctor in Dentistry. He is currently working on a research to develop low-cost technology through the use of herbal adjuncts to improve oral health. He is a Member of World Health Organization’s Generation Saviour Association and Mother Teresa Charitable Institution Punjab, India. They have organized numerous camps spreading the awareness on the importance of maintaining a good oral hygiene and ill effects of tobacco on health. They have participated in numerous government campaigns such as National pulse polio program and city cleanliness drive.

Email: [email protected]

Relevant Topics
Leave Your Message 24x7
Top