alexa
Reach Us +441414719275
Investigating The Knowledge, Attitudes And Practices Of Nursing Students Regarding A Pre-marital Program In Jeddah | 83040
ISSN: 2167-1168

Journal of Nursing & Care
Open Access

OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations
700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)
All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.

Investigating the knowledge, attitudes and practices of nursing students regarding a pre-marital program in Jeddah

47th Global Nursing & Healthcare Conference

Ola Esheaba, Hanen Jamal Baowaidan and Ghada Qasim Alshehri

King Suad Bin Abdalaziz Universty For Health Sciences, Jeddah, KSA Alexandria Universty, Egypt

ScientificTracks Abstracts: J Nurs Care

DOI: 10.4172/2167-1168-C1-064

Abstract
Background: Premarital program (PMP) is a worldwide activity aiming to diagnose, treat unrecognized disorders, and reduce transmission of diseases to couples which may affect the quality of marriage and the health of future generations. It worth mentioned that none of the reviewed literature has addressed the knowledge, attitude and practice of premarital program among nursing students in KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia). Nursing students as a future health care providers may encourage regular checkups or testing for people with a medical condition that runs in their family. Aim: The aim of our study is to investigate the knowledge, attitude and practice of nursing students regarding a pre-marital program in Jeddah. Methodology: A quantitative cross-sectional design was used. The study sample accounted 160 nursing students. Non probability, convenient sampling technique was used. The study tool was devoleped by the researchers. The study questionnare consists of six parts: sociodemographic data of the students and their families, student's knowledge and attitude about the PMP, intention of engaged students towards PMP, experience towards PMP among married students. Results: The mean age of the students was 21.34 years, majority of them being in stream1. However, about one quarter of them had family history of hereditary diseases,and about three quarter of them knew about PMP and its availability in KSA. Considerable number of the sample had knowlege about the services provided in PMP. However most of them recognize the importance of PMP especially in reducing the risk of genetic diseases. In addition the total knowledge score of the participants regarding PMP shows that less than three quarter of the participants (70%) have good knowledge while the rest of the studied sample (30%) have poor knowledge, the total attiude score regarding PMP shows that the majority (90%) of the studied sample have positive attiude while only (9%) of the studied sample have negative attitude, and those who have neutral attitude represent only (1%) of the sample. Most of them agreed that law should obligate future couples to have PMP while most of engaged students had an intention to have PMP and all of married students conduct PMP. Conclusion: Based on the result of the study we conclude that most of the participant had a good knowledge, attitude as well as good practice concerning PMP. Even though, the majority of the participant thought that it’s important to carry out PMP, less than one third of them preferred making it obligatory before marriage. Significant relation was observed between the knowledge and attitude of the students. No significant relation was observed between the educational level and occupation of the participant's parents and their attitude.
Biography

Ola Esheaba is an Assistant Professor from College of Nursing, King Saud Bin Abdul-Aziz University for Health Sciences, Jeddah, KSA. He/She pursued PHD fom Community Health Nursing College of Nursing, Alexandria University, Egypt. He/She is a Member of Quality Assurance Unit.\Chairperson of the community services unit\course Coordinator of Community Health Nursing & Health Education at College of Nursing Jeddah; Member in - Egyptian Nurses Association; League of the High Faculties of Nursing Graduates, Alexandria, Egypt; Egyptian association of Nutrition and Health guidance. He/She has participated as Speakers in many international nursing conferences. He/She has also participated in several workshops & training programs

Relevant Topics
Top