alexa Prevalence And Antimicrobial Susceptibility Patter Of Salmonella Typhi And Salmonella Paratyphi Isolates From Patients With Clinical Symptom Compatible With Typhoid Fever
ISSN: 2155-9597

Journal of Bacteriology & Parasitology
Open Access

Like us on:
OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading
Loading Please wait..
 

2nd International Congress on Bacteriology & Infectious Diseases
November 17-19, 2014 DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago-North Shore, USA

Gizachew A Demessie, Tamrat A Zeleke, Nigatu K Wubie, Solomon Gebre-Selassie, Adane Mihret and Haile Alemayehu
Accepted Abstracts: J Bacteriol Parasitol
DOI: 10.4172/2155-9597.S1.008
Abstract
Introduction: Salmonella typhi, S. paratyphi A, S. paratyphi B and S. paratyphi C are the causative agents of typhoid fever. Epidemiologic data on typhoid fever and causative agents in endemic countries is lacking or incomplete with very poor estimates of the number of cases and deaths annually. Drug resistance development in typhoid salmonellae is one of important factors in the epidemiology of the disease. Objective: The main objective of this study is to determine the prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi in febrile patients with clinical symptom compatible with typhoid fever in St Paul?s General Specialized Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Methodology: A total of 270 febrile patients from mid December 2010 to March 2011 were involved in the study. 5 ml blood sample was collected and inoculated into broth media for primary isolation and identification was made by different biochemical tests. Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern was determined by the modified Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion technique. Result: Seven (2.6%) cases of S. typhi and 4 (1.5%) cases of S. paratyphi were identified with the total prevalence of typhoid fever 4.1 %. Most (3/7[42.9%]) of the isolated S.typhi are highly resistant to amoxicillin. S. paratyphi isolates show no resistance to gentamycine, tetracycline, norfloxacin and ciprofloxacin. More resistance is observed in amoxicillin. One species of S.typhi and 2 species of S. paratyphi were multi drug resistant. Conclusion: A 4.1% prevalence of S.typhi and S.paratyphi indicates that, typhoid fever is still a public health concern. The proportion of S.typhi and S.paratyphi as a cause of typhoid fever is increasing than previously expected. Both S. typhi and S. paratyphi showed high resistance for commonly used drugs against typhoid fever.
image PDF   |   image HTML
 

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords