alexa Progress In Feeding The Earth If There Is A Global Agricultural Catastrophe
ISSN: 2157-7110

Journal of Food Processing & Technology
Open Access

Like us on:
OMICS International organises 3000+ Global Conferenceseries Events every year across USA, Europe & Asia with support from 1000 more scientific Societies and Publishes 700+ Open Access Journals which contains over 50000 eminent personalities, reputed scientists as editorial board members.

Open Access Journals gaining more Readers and Citations

700 Journals and 15,000,000 Readers Each Journal is getting 25,000+ Readers

This Readership is 10 times more when compared to other Subscription Journals (Source: Google Analytics)

Share This Page

Additional Info

Loading
Loading Please wait..
 

2nd International Conference on Food Security and Sustainability
June 26-27, 2017 San Diego, USA

David Denkenberger
Tennessee State University, USA
Keynote: J Food Process Technol
DOI: 10.4172/2157-7110-C1-061
Abstract
Several of catastrophes could block the sun, including asteroid/comet impact, super volcanic eruption and nuclear war with the burning of cities (nuclear winter). This represents roughly a 10% probability this century that agriculture would be nearly completely destroyed. The literature also suggests that there is an ~80% chance this century of a 10% global agricultural shortfall due to catastrophes such as a large volcanic eruption, a medium asteroid/comet impact, regional nuclear war, abrupt climate change and extreme weather causing multiple breadbasket failures. Previous work has shown that it is technically feasible to feed everyone in these scenarios by producing alternate food that is not dependent on sunlight but instead on stored biomass and fossil fuels. Previous work has also shown that preparation for this food production would be very low cost, so it would be highly cost-effective and there is great urgency for this preparation. Ongoing work includes estimating the cost of producing the alternate foods during a catastrophe. Further work has been writing response plans at the national, regional and international levels. Several scenario planning exercises have been performed with informative results. An organization has been started to coordinate research and planning work: AllFED. Since this work shows that people have more to gain from cooperation during a catastrophe, this has important implications for peace.
Biography

David Denkenberger has received his BS from Penn State in Engineering Science, MSE from Princeton in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and PhD from the University of Colorado at Boulder in the Building Systems Program. His dissertation was on his patent-pending expanded microchannel heat exchanger. He is an Assistant Professor at Tennessee State University in Architectural Engineering. He is also an Associate at the Global Catastrophic Risk Institute. He has received the National Merit Scholarship, the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and The National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship and is a Penn State Distinguished Alumnus. He has authored or co-authored over 60 publications, including the book “Feeding Everyone no Matter What: Managing Food Security after Global Catastrophe”. He has given over 80 technical presentations.

Email: [email protected]

image PDF   |   image HTML
 

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri, Food, Aqua and Veterinary Science Journals

Dr. Krish

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Clinical and Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Earth & Environmental Sciences

Katie Wilson

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science and Health care Journals

Andrea Jason

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics and Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Informatics Journals

Stephanie Skinner

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Material Sciences Journals

Rachle Green

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Mathematics and Physics Journals

Jim Willison

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

John Behannon

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords