alexa A retrospective review of 307 men with Peyronie's disease
Surgery

Surgery

Medical & Surgical Urology

Author(s): Kadioglu A

Abstract Share this page

PURPOSE: We discuss the clinical appearance and natural outcome of Peyronie's disease. MATERIALS AND METHODS: During an 8-year period 307 men with Peyronie's disease were evaluated, and clinical characteristics, risk (factors), penile deformities, erectile status and outcome were analyzed. RESULTS: Mean patient age plus or minus standard deviation was 52.8 +/- 9.3 years (range 23 to 76). Penile deformity, pain on erection and palpable nodule were the most common (85%) presenting symptoms, usually in different combinations. The remaining 15% of men (mean age 59.4 +/- 6.5 years) were not aware of the penile deformity and were diagnosed during standard evaluation for erectile dysfunction. Dorsal (45.6%) and lateral (29.3%) were the most common curvatures. The degree of deformity was less than 30 degrees in 42.7% of patients, 31 to 60 degrees in 38.8% and greater than 60 degrees in 18.6%. At least 1 risk factor for systemic vascular disease was identified in 67.5% of patients, and hypercholesterolemia and diabetes were the most common. Patients with at least 1 risk factor had a significantly higher risk for severe penile deformity. Of the men 54.4% complained of erectile dysfunction and the probability of diminished erectile capacity was 86.7% in patients older than 60 years, with Peyronie's disease for more than 12 months and at least 1 risk factor. Of 63 patients presenting with the acute phase of disease penile deformity deteriorated in 30.2%, did not change in 66.7% and resolved spontaneously in 3.2% without any treatment after a mean followup of 8.4 months. CONCLUSIONS: Our data show that penile deformities are disabling (greater than 30 degrees) in 62.5% of cases. Risk factors, such as serum lipid abnormalities, diabetes and hypertension, seem to have significant impact on the severity of symptoms and outcome. Patients must be informed that Peyronie's disease is progressive in 30.2% without treatment and spontaneous resolution is rare.

This article was published in J Urol and referenced in Medical & Surgical Urology

Relevant Expert PPTs

Relevant Speaker PPTs

Recommended Conferences

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri, Food, Aqua and Veterinary Science Journals

Dr. Krish

agrifoodaquavet@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Clinical and Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

clinical_biochem@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

business@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

chemicaleng_chemistry@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Earth & Environmental Sciences

Katie Wilson

environmentalsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

engineering@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science and Health care Journals

Andrea Jason

generalsci_healthcare@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics and Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

genetics_molbio@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

immuno_microbio@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Informatics Journals

Stephanie Skinner

omics@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Material Sciences Journals

Rachle Green

materialsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Mathematics and Physics Journals

Jim Willison

mathematics_physics@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

medical@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

neuro_psychology@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

John Behannon

pharma@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

social_politicalsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords