Author(s): Yagi H, el Hind AM, Khalil SI
Abstract Share this page
Abstract A series of 18 cases of acute hair dye (paraphenylenediamine) poisoning were reported. The characteristic features of swollen face and the chocolate brown colour of the urine were diagnostic. Asphyxia was found to be the major early challenge of life. Tracheostomy and intensive medical treatment with hydrocortisone and chlorpheniramine maleate (antihistaminic drug) and penicillin cover were life saving in all serious cases. The mild cases were successfully treated with hydrocortisone and chlorpheniramine maleate and penicillin without tracheostomy. The dye was detected in the urine by thin layer chromatography on silica gel and proved to be paraphenylenediamine. Early prompt diagnosis and clinical management proved to be life saving in both serious or mild hair dye poisoning.
This article was published in East Afr Med J
and referenced in Journal of Membrane Science & Technology