Author(s): von Rahden BH, Feith M, Dittler HJ, Stein HJ
Abstract Share this page
Abstract We herein report about a case of perforation of the cervical esophagus by an artificial denture, which had been swallowed by the patient after a horse-related-injury. Impactation of the foreign body at the level of the upper esophageal sphincter was followed by its penetration through the esophageal wall, causing severe infection of the cervical soft tissue, mediastinitis and sepsis. We discuss the well-known phenomena of prosthesis ingestion and frequently delayed diagnosis, as well as our treatment strategy of cervical esophageal perforation with placement of a T-tube into the cervical esophagus and mediastinal drainage.
This article was published in Dis Esophagus
and referenced in Pediatric Dental Care