Author(s): Tekant G, Erolu E, Erdoan E, Yeilda E, Emir H,
Abstract Share this page
Abstract METHODS: During the last 5 years, 61 children were admitted to the authors' hospital because of corrosive substance ingestion, and among them 6 patients were seen with gastric outlet obstruction. Two of them had ingested acid substances, and the other 4 had ingested alkali corrosives. The mean age was 2.9 years (range, 1.5 to 3). Their common complaint was postprandial vomiting, which had begun 3 weeks after the event (range, 1 week to 10 weeks). Endoscopic evaluation and barium contrast radiographies were performed at admission. Four patients had a pyloric stricture, 1 had an antral stricture, and another had an antropyloric stricture. Balloon dilatation of the pylorus (in 1 patient), pyloroplasty (in 3 patients), and Billroth I procedures (in 2 patients) were performed. The mean follow-up period was 22 months (range, 6 weeks to 48 months). One patient, who had undergone a Billroth I procedure, underwent reoperation because of intestinal obstruction 3 months later. On follow-up they are all free of symptoms. CONCLUSIONS: The treatment of gastric outlet obstruction caused by corrosive ingestion should be treated surgically. Although endoscopic and radiologic evaluation helps to determine the time and necessity, once the diagnosis is confirmed, early definitive surgical intervention should be performed, and the type of the surgery depends mostly on the findings of the surgeon at laparotomy. Endoscopic balloon dilatation of the pylorus maybe attempted in suitable cases. Special care should be given to prevent children from accidental corrosive ingestion. Copyright 2001 by W.B. Saunders Company.
This article was published in J Pediatr Surg
and referenced in Health Care : Current Reviews