Author(s): Bulgin MS, Lincoln SD, Mather G
Abstract Share this page
Abstract Two thousand Panama X Rambouillet ewes from a flock of 2,200 developed signs of acute toxicosis after being moved to a field that had been sprayed 16 hours earlier with elemental sulfur. Acute signs were lethargy, abdominal discomfort, and prostration. Two hundred six (10\%) of the affected ewes died within 24 hours. Polioencephalomalacia that was unresponsive to thiamine treatment developed in another 40 (2\%) of the ewes; 28 (70\%) of the ewes with polioencephalomalacia recovered. Sulfur is converted to hydrogen sulfide in the rumen. Signs of sulfur toxicosis are a result of absorption of hydrogen sulfide and interaction with the cytochrome system and hemoglobin. Sulfide is detoxified in the RBC and by the liver.
This article was published in J Am Vet Med Assoc
and referenced in Journal of Petroleum & Environmental Biotechnology