alexa Evaluation of the azoospermic patient.
Reproductive Medicine

Reproductive Medicine

Andrology-Open Access

Author(s): Jarow JP, Espeland MA, Lipshultz LI

Abstract Share this page

Abstract Azoospermia is found in up to 10 to 20 per cent of the men who present to an infertility clinic. The main causes are testicular failure and ductal obstruction. Testicular biopsy remains the definitive test used to differentiate these 2 disorders. A retrospective study of 133 azoospermic men was performed to determine the accuracy and limitations of noninvasive variables in predicting testicular failure in an effort to limit the need for diagnostic testicular biopsy. Of 49 patients (37 per cent) with ductal obstruction a third had bilateral vasal agenesis. The remaining 84 azoospermic patients (63 per cent) had testicular failure. The results of the complete evaluation of these patients are described. Among the 101 patients with a testicular biopsy confirmed diagnosis there was a significant difference in testicular size (p less than 0.001), ejaculate volume (p less than 0.001) and serum follicle-stimulating hormone (p less than 0.001) between patients with testicular failure and those with ductal obstruction. The sensitivity and specificity of various parameters were determined. The best criteria to predict ductal obstruction preoperatively are a serum follicle-stimulating hormone level of less than 2 times greater than normal and the absence of bilateral testicular atrophy (100 per cent sensitivity and 71 per cent specificity). An algorithm for evaluation of the azoospermic patient is described such that all men with ductal obstruction and a minimal number with testicular failure undergo testicular biopsy.
This article was published in J Urol and referenced in Andrology-Open Access

Relevant Expert PPTs

Relevant Speaker PPTs

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri, Food, Aqua and Veterinary Science Journals

Dr. Krish

agrifoodaquavet@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Clinical and Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

clinical_biochem@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

business@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

chemicaleng_chemistry@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Earth & Environmental Sciences

Katie Wilson

environmentalsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

engineering@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science and Health care Journals

Andrea Jason

generalsci_healthcare@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics and Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

genetics_molbio@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

immuno_microbio@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Informatics Journals

Stephanie Skinner

omics@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Material Sciences Journals

Rachle Green

materialsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Mathematics and Physics Journals

Jim Willison

mathematics_physics@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

medical@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

neuro_psychology@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

John Behannon

pharma@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

social_politicalsci@omicsonline.com

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version