alexa Injection immunotherapy with different airborne allergens did not prevent de novo sensitization to ragweed and birch pollen north of Milan.
Immunology

Immunology

Journal of Allergy & Therapy

Author(s): Asero R

Abstract Share this page

BACKGROUND: Previous studies suggest that allergen-specific immunotherapy (SIT) with a single allergen may prevent sensitization to other airborne allergens. OBJECTIVE: To assess the effectiveness of injection SIT in preventing sensitization to birch and ragweed pollen north of Milan, a geographical area that was recently colonized by these two airborne allergens. METHODS: 691 adult patients monosensitized to grass (n = 342), pellitory (n = 76), ragweed (n = 66), birch (n = 112), and house dust mite (n = 95) were studied. 284 (41%) of them received injection SIT as part of routine outpatient care; the remaining 407 (59%) not submitted to SIT, served as controls. All patients underwent follow-up visits after no less than 2 years in order to detect possible new sensitization to birch and/or ragweed. RESULTS: 227 (33%) patients became sensitized to birch and/or ragweed pollen during the follow-up period. Surprisingly, the prevalence of new sensitizations was significantly higher among subjects receiving SIT (132/284; 46%) than among those not receiving SIT (95/407; 23%; p < 0.001). 27 subjects developed new sensitization to birch and/or ragweed pollen while undergoing SIT. These findings were consistent in all subgroups with different airborne allergies. CONCLUSION: In this study, injection SIT did not exert any preventive effect against denovosensitization to the two novel airborne allergens, birch and ragweed pollen, in adult monosensitized patients.

This article was published in Int Arch Allergy Immunol. and referenced in Journal of Allergy & Therapy

Relevant Expert PPTs

Recommended Conferences

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

Agri, Food, Aqua and Veterinary Science Journals

Dr. Krish

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Clinical and Biochemistry Journals

Datta A

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9037

Business & Management Journals

Ronald

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Journals

Gabriel Shaw

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9040

Earth & Environmental Sciences

Katie Wilson

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

Engineering Journals

James Franklin

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9042

General Science and Health care Journals

Andrea Jason

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9043

Genetics and Molecular Biology Journals

Anna Melissa

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9006

Immunology & Microbiology Journals

David Gorantl

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9014

Informatics Journals

Stephanie Skinner

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Material Sciences Journals

Rachle Green

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9039

Mathematics and Physics Journals

Jim Willison

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

Medical Journals

Nimmi Anna

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9038

Neuroscience & Psychology Journals

Nathan T

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9041

Pharmaceutical Sciences Journals

John Behannon

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001Extn: 9007

Social & Political Science Journals

Steve Harry

[email protected]

1-702-714-7001 Extn: 9042

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords