alexa Paclitaxel in combination with carboplatin as salvage treatment in refractory small-cell lung cancer (SCLC): a multicenter phase II study.
Oncology

Oncology

Journal of Cancer Diagnosis

Author(s): S Kakolyris, D Mavroudis, N Tsavaris, J Souglakos, P Tsiafaki

Abstract Share this page

Purpose: The activity and toxicity of paclitaxel plus carboplatin combination in patients with disease progression after initial chemotherapy for small-celt lung cancer (SCLC) was investigated in a multicenter phase II study.

Patients and methods: Thirty-two patients (twenty-seven men) with extensive stage refractory SCLC after EP or CAV front-line chemotherapy were treated with paclitaxel 200 mg/m2 on day 1 and carboplatin 6 AUC on day 2 in a four-week schedule. The patients' median age was 60 years and the performance status (WHO) was 0 for 9, 1 for 20 and 2 for 3 patients. All patients were evaluable for toxicity and 29 for response.

Results: Complete response was observed in one (3%) and partial response in seven (22%) for an overall response rate of 25% (95%! confidence interval (Cl): 10%-40%). Seven (22%,) patients had stable disease and seventeen (53%) progressive disease. All but one of the responders had been previously treated with EP combination and three of them had failed to respond. The median duration of response and the median TTP were 3 and 5.5 months, respectively. The median overall survival was seven months. Grade 3-4 neutropenia was observed in 12 (37%) patients and in 2 of these it was associated with infection. There were no toxic deaths. Grade 4 anaemia was observed in one (3%) patient and grade 3 thrombocytopenia in three (9.4%). Non-hematologic toxicity was very mild with grade 2-3 asthenia occurring in 10 (25%) patients; asthenia was the reason for treatment discontinuation in 3 patients.

Conclusions: The combination of paclitaxel and carboplatin is a relatively active and well-tolerated regimen as salvage treatment in patients with refractory SCLC.

  • To read the full article Visit
  • Open Access
This article was published in Annals of Oncology and referenced in Journal of Cancer Diagnosis

Relevant Expert PPTs

Relevant Speaker PPTs

Recommended Conferences

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords