alexa Patients' knowledge and attitude towards treatment and control of hypertension: a nation-wide telephone survey conducted in Malaysia.
Diabetes & Endocrinology

Diabetes & Endocrinology

Journal of Diabetes & Metabolism

Author(s): Khoo KL, Liew YM, Tan H, Sambhi JS, Hatijah BA

Abstract Share this page

The telephone survey of 2,526 hypertensive subjects showed 94% of the respondents were aware of the importance in controlling hypertension. Among these 504 were not on anti-hypertensive medication while the majority of 2,022 were currently on anti-hypertensive medication. Of those who were not on medication, 80% (n = 403) were found non-hypertensive on follow-up. The remaining 20% (n = 101) were confirmed hypertensive and were offered medication. However, 38 subjects refused to take medication and 63 subjects complied with medication but subsequently gave up. The main reasons for giving up medication included lack of motivation (38%), doctors' advice (20%), side effects (19%) and concern of side effects (10%). Of 2,022 hypertensive respondents who were currently on medication, almost half (44%, n = 890) required a change of medication due to side effects (40%, n = 356) or the blood pressure not controlled with the previous medication (33%, n = 294). Despite the change in medication, 42% (n = 150) still continued to suffer from some form of side effects. The information obtained from this survey suggested it is important to recommend some strategies to improve patient compliance. These strategies comprise of motivating the patient, improving medication with less side effects, improving potency and efficiency of medication, and redu

  • To read the full article Visit
  • Subscription
This article was published in Med J Malaysia. and referenced in Journal of Diabetes & Metabolism

Relevant Expert PPTs

Relevant Speaker PPTs

Recommended Conferences

Relevant Topics

Peer Reviewed Journals
 
Make the best use of Scientific Research and information from our 700 + peer reviewed, Open Access Journals
International Conferences 2017-18
 
Meet Inspiring Speakers and Experts at our 3000+ Global Annual Meetings

Contact Us

 
© 2008-2017 OMICS International - Open Access Publisher. Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox | Google Chrome | Above IE 7.0 version
adwords