Author(s): Anyfantakis D, Symvoulakis EK, Cristodoulakis EV, Frantzeskakis G
Abstract Share this page
Abstract Methanol poisoning is a relatively rare but potentially serious medical emergency. Toxicity results when methanol is successively oxidized to the active metabolites formaldehyde and formic acid. We report a case of a 23-year-old male, a high daily alcohol consumer, who attended the local primary health care centre complaining of sudden visual loss. A presumed diagnosis of methanol intoxication was suggested based on the patient's visual impairment and the history of alcohol ingestion. Specific therapy was initiated before a definitive diagnosis. Gas chromatographic determination of methanol levels confirmed the initial diagnostic suspicion. In this case, prompt recognition of methanol intoxication and treatment conditioned a favorable clinical outcome. Given that timely diagnosis and antidote administration are crucial issues in terms of prognosis, we underline the necessity for physicians to be alert for entities provoked by rare environmental factors.
This article was published in J Med Life
and referenced in Journal of Antivirals & Antiretrovirals