The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences is the National Academy of Bulgaria, established in 1869. The Academy, located in Sofia, is autonomous and has a Society of Academicians, Correspondent Members and Foreign Members. Stefan Vodenicharov has been president of the BAS since 2012. For sixty years now the Geophysical Institute has been a leading research organization among the Earth sciences institutes of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. The main research activities in the Institute are directed to study of the geoenvironment of the Bulgarian territory aiming to support the sustainable development of contemporary society and harmonic safe control of the issues associated with geohazards. The scientists of the Institute have been, and still are among the leading university lecturers, supervising a significant number of MSc and PhD students. Presently, the Geophysical Institute has delegated experts in more than 20 international scientific and expert organizations. The Geophysical Institute was founded in 1947.
The structure of the Institute consists of seven scientific departments, two research laboratories and a research base, which are as follows: